Sunday, May 3, 2009

Joy Amidst the Chaos

Here it is, 10:30 p.m. on Sunday evening, and I find myself reflecting on the weekend and the week prior. It was a long week indeed. Well, literally, that is not so; it was the basic seven-day week. But it felt long. So long. Every day brought challenging issues, several of them right on top of each other. I felt exhausted almost all of the time. Anxiety is like that. It robs every ounce of one's strength and offers little in return.

However, in the midst of the chaos, two events stand out as shining examples of all that is good in life, the healing power of laughter, and the joy of accomplishing goals. Thursday evening, Seth and I attended the "Mr. Skyview" pageant at Skyview High School. Why did we go? Because, unlikely as it may seem, Isaiah was one of 20 contestants for the title of "Mr. Skyview." I say it seemed unlikely mostly because Isaiah generally isn't "into" such activities. I felt the same element of surprise when he was nominated for Homecoming royalty the past two years. "Really?" I thought. "That just doesn't seem like the Isaiah I know."

So I went to the "Mr. Skyview" pageant not knowing quite what to expect. It turned out to be a beauty pageant for guys, including categories of competition in casual wear, talent, formal wear, and question/answer. It opened with all 20 contestants doing a choreographed dance number, and there was Isaiah dancing right in step with all the others. The audience roared with laughter as did I. What fun! The casual wear and formal wear segemants were equally enteratining as each contestant was escorted across the stage by a lovely young lady. Isaiah looked dashing in his tuxedo and played right up to the audience throughout his entire time on stage. By this point I was nearly rolling on the floor in laughter.

Then came the talent competition. Keep in mind that Isaiah is a talented young man. He sings beautifully and can also play the piano although he prefers to keep that skill a deeply hidden secret. But no, Isaiah instead chose to perform magic tricks for his talent. Does he know how to do magic tricks? No. Not at all. His routine was pure comedy from start to finish as he performed the silliest, most ridiculous magic tricks you can imagine. The audience roared.

Isaiah did not win the title of "Mr. Skyview," but that matters not at all. He participated in a fun event in the final month of his high school career. And in doing do, he and the others brought joy and laughter to an audience full of students and parents, including this particular mom who was having a long and trying week. Thank you, Isaiah. I love you.

Oh, and I should add that the entertainment for this event (as though the contest itself wasn't entertaining enough) was a performance by Eli's select choir, All Naturals. An added bonus!

That was Thursday. Friday brought more hassles, too boring to discuss, but Saturday morning I had the privilege (read: this is required for my job) of donning cap and gown and marching with the faculty in commencement exercises for Montana State University Billings where I teach. Ordinarily, this would not have been something I was excited to do. Imagine sitting through a 2-1/2 hour graduation ceremony when no one you care about is graduating. I mean really...these ceremonies are boring enough when you're there for someone you know and love. I haven't taught there long enough to see any of my my own students graduate, but this year, three friends happened to be earning their degrees. This made it all worthwhile. My closest friend of the three now lives in Texas, so she couldn't be here to walk through her graduation, but I looked at her name in the program and felt pride in her accomplishment. She finished her degree this year taking online classes while caring for her three little girls and baby-sitting one extra child. Celeste, you are my hero.

Two other friends received their degees as well, both master's degrees. One earned his degree in athletic training and already has a job offer in Western Washington. Am I jealous about that?? Yes! But I am also grateful because he and his young family can now begin the next chapter of their lives. Congratulations Dave! Lastly, another friend earned her master's degree in educational technology. She accomplished this as she taught full time, cared for her family, and persevered through many obstacles along the way. Go Teresa!

A rough week? Yes it was. Joy admidst the chaos? Indeed.