Monday, June 1, 2009

Mom! All Your Other Sons Got To Grow Up


As an introduction, may I begin with a recent phone conversation I had with Seth. It occurred when I was away this past weekend in Red Lodge, and Seth was at home with his three big brothers.

Seth: Mom, I only have 4-1/2 more days of school.

Me: That is so exciting. Summer is almost here.

Seth: Then I'll be a fourth grader!

Me: Oh no, that can't be true. That is such a grown-up grade to be in. Maybe there's some mistake.

Seth: Mom! All your other sons got to grow up, and I get to too.

Alas, he is so right. Sunday evening, we attended commencement exercises for the Skyview High School Class of 2009 and watched Isaiah receive his diploma. We waited in anticipation for the announcement of his name and then watched him saunter across the stage to shake hands with the principal. He then made his way through the faculty receiving line, hugging several teachers along the way. After all the other graduates' names were announced, the highlight of the evening was when the Chorale graduating seniors sang. They did a lovely job as always. And then, caps were tossed into the air, shouts of joy echoed through the Metra Park Arena, and the celebrating began.

As a classic middle child, Isaiah has always been quiet, calm, requiring little. Yet he gives so much to us. He is sure and steadfast. He is kind and thoughtful. He is a great example to his two younger brothers. We love you Isaiah, and we are proud of you.

"Mom! All your other sons got to grow up." Indeed, but Seth, that doesn't mean you have to rush.

2 comments:

  1. When you initially set up your blog, I kept wanting to comment but I couldn't see that there was that option. Now that you have that option, I haven't commented! Your last couple of essays, besides being interesting, have been so well written that I felt any comments I'd have would just fall short of your genius. :-) Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE comments! They let me know someone is reading. Thanks for the kind words.

    ReplyDelete