Today I decided to make a pact with Seth. We are the two who tend to cry whenever Shulamith leaves. Well, let's face it....we don't "tend" to cry; we bawl our eyes out, both of us. No one else cries, just Seth and I. So today, I decided to attempt a "no crying" pact with Seth.
Me: Sweetie, Shulamith has to leave today.
Seth (with sadness in his eyes): Why does she always have to leave? She didn't even stay a week this time.
Me: I know, but didn't we have so much fun with her?
Seth: But I like it when she stays at least a week.
Me: Well, we will see her again in just a few weeks when we take Isaiah to college. So I was thinking maybe you and I should make a deal that we won't cry today when we say goodbye to her. What do you think?
Seth: I WILL CRY!
Me: So you don't want to make this deal with me and try not to cry.
Seth: No. I will definitely cry.
In the end, though, he didn't. We left at around 1:00 to drive her back to Cody to meet Matt and his parents. Seth had two friends over at the time and was so totally preoccupied with them that he barely noticed we were leaving. He said a quick, "Bye, Shulamith. I love you," and that was it.
I didn't do as well. I held up pretty well visiting with Matt and greeting his parents briefly, but when it was time to hug her goodbye, it was all over. I cried most of the way home from Cody.
Good thing we didn't make a pact.
No comments:
Post a Comment