Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Schmooze

The Merriam-Webster Collegiate Dictionary, Eleventh Edition defines the word "schmooze" as follows: To chat informally, especially to gain favor.

Generally speaking, I would say that I'm not very good at this. I tend to be pretty direct, not especially good at hinting, manipulating, managing people or situations, and certainly not very good at "schmoozing." However, as with just about everything, if my children are involved, especially regarding something as important as my only daughter's wedding, then "schmooze" I will!

Here's the story.

Shulamith and Matt decided to register with Target's wedding gift registry, Club Wed. I encouraged this. Target is a great store; it offers high quality items at reasonable prices, a much better choice than some higher end stores whose merchandise no one can afford. Furthermore, Target carries just about everything a new couple needs! What could be better? So Shulamith and Matt spent nearly three hours wandering through Target scanning items to create their own personal gift registry. When they finished, they were given a book which includes four pages of gift enclosure cards, eight cards to a page. Total: 32 cards.

Here's the thing. Thirty-two cards is not enough. Not even close. They're sending out over 200 announcements; thirty-two cards won't begin to cover it. Hence, my quest began to find more cards. I started by calling the information line for Target's Club Wed. When I explained my dilemma, the customer service representative told me I could log onto a website and print out as many cards as I wanted. Hmmm. That sounds easy, but think about it. I'd also have to buy card stock on which to print the cards (unless we want to use flimsy paper copies, which we don't) and then buy color ink cartridges with which to print them. Then, unless we could find perforated card stock, we'd have to (ever so carefully) cut out each card. None of this sounded very fun.

My mission: find more cards. My tactic: schmoozing.

I first went to the West End (Billings) Target store. To my good fortune, the person working behind the customer service desk was a former student. Now, I don't typically use my status as someone's former college instructor to my advantage; truly, I don't. But this time, I have to admit that's exactly what I did. I said, "Alicia, I REALLY need more of these books." She told me they're only allowed to give out one book to each bride who registers. I continued. "Alicia, I just can't go through all the hassle of printing out my own cards. I REALLY need more of these books. Is there any way you could get me more?" She said she'd try and promptly went into a back room and brought back four more books. Four books equals 128 more cards! Score.

Then I went up to the Heights Target to try to get more. To my good fortune, a woman from our stake was working at the customer service desk. I went through my same sad story. She said she'd need to get permission from her supervisor in order to give me more books. The supervisor wasn't excited to help me; she emphasized Target's policy: only one book per bride. Schmooze, Terrianne, schmooze. You know you can do it. I told her my daughter was considering switching her registry to Bed, Bath, and Beyond (which was the truth) because they give brides unlimited enclosure cards. And I explained how much I didn't want her to do that. Target has lower prices, better value, etc. Perhaps it was just the only way she could think of to get rid of me, but she offered to give me two additional books. I thanked her sincerely and left. Two more books equals 64 more cards.

This would likely have been enough, but I wanted to be sure, so I asked my mother (who is really the queen of schmoozing) to check out the Target stores near her. She was able to round up three more books. Three books equals 96 more cards. Yes!

We now have 320 cards! That should be plenty. All thanks to my new found ability to schmooze.

1 comment:

  1. That makes me laugh! Way to work it, Terrianne! Well done. :D

    ReplyDelete