Two days ago I had a clothes crisis. Ladies, you know exactly what I mean, right?
It goes like this. You get up in the morning, shower, and begin to dress. But you don't have the first clue what you want to wear. I think this is truly the catalyst for the crisis. Generally, you have some idea, based on how you are feeling that day, what you might want to wear. But no, not today. So you stand at your closet for a few minutes, staring mindlessly at your clothes. Still nothing.
And the frenzy begins...
You start pulling items off hangers and putting them on. One after the other. Each time you have on a new outfit, you run to the mirror, only to find that you look like crap. So you strip off that outfit, throw it on the floor (or, if you're lucky, maybe the bed) and try again. Over and over. And over. And over. Half your wardrobe is now on the floor, and you're still standing in your bedroom, dazed and confused, in your underwear.
The frenzy escalates...
You notice the time and realize you are running terribly late. You pick up the pace, but the result is still the same. One outfit after another, on and off, on and off, but everything looks horrible. Now obviously you bought all these clothes, so you had to have liked them at some point, for example when you tried them on in the store. But not today. They look old, ugly, wrinkled, mismatched, or woefully out of style. And though you most probably haven't gained even half an ounce since yesterday, absolutely everything you put on makes you look fat.
The frenzy subsides...
On the most recent visit to the mirror, you notice the impact all this is having on your hair and make-up. Ugh! You also notice the time and that now you are very late, so you go with whatever happens to be on your body at the moment, briefly finger-style your hair, and head out the door, feeling anything but lovely.
It's hard to say how much this crisis will influence the rest of your day; it depends. For certain, you will eventually have to come home and face your bedroom, which now gives new meaning to the word "tornado." Good luck with that.
Clothes crises. We all have them.
Ha! This makes me laugh a lot. It's fortunate for me that I don't have to go anywhere often b/c otherwise this would be happening pretty much everyday right now. My collection of clothes is looking increasingly age inappropriate in my opinion and it appears that I have recently gained some weight, therefore nothing that I currently own fits me right. But since I rarely venture into public, I can get away with wearing slob clothes. :D
ReplyDeleteI wonder if these kinds of days arise for me more often when I'm needing to do laundry so what's left over in the closet is not anything I currently care about? Loved your post!
ReplyDeleteRachael, although I haven't see you recently, I never remember you dressing like a slob. Never. So I'm pretty sure you aren't doing so now.
ReplyDeletePatty, I don't think these crises have much to do with how many clothes we have clean and available at the time. As most of you know, I am a clothes junkie; I have many, many clothes. It doesn't seem to matter. When one of these crises hits, the fact that I have a lot of clothes just means more wind up on the floor.