When we think about holidays, most of us (I would guess) would not place Saint Patrick's Day on our list of, say, top five favorites. Christmas, my personal favorite, most likely ranks first for most people. Thanksgiving, because it marks the start of the Christmas season, is a also a favorite. Easter, or even Halloween, might make the list. Maybe Valentine's Day or 4th of July. But Saint Patrick's Day? Isn't that the day we search our closets at the last minute attempting to find something with a touch of green, and call it good? And that is only if we happen to remember.
This is not the case for Seth. Seth loves St. Patrick's Day. As far as I know, he doesn't' have an ounce of Irish blood flowing through his veins from either side of the family, yet this particular holiday brings him great delight. First, green is his absolute favorite color. One day last fall when Shulamith and Matt were here, Seth donned his favorite outfit combination, exactly what you see in this photo: bright green shorts and t-shirt. So impressed with himself, he declared: This is my Saint Patrick's Day outfit, but I just can't wait until March to wear it!" Matt affectionately nicknamed him "Sir Greens A Lot," and that name has stuck between the two of them ever since.
This March 17th, Seth arose early and dressed himself in his green attire in honor of the day. He reminded me, as he had every single day of the preceding week, to buy green apples for his party at Cub Scouts that night. That I did. The party was apparently a huge success, complete with Irish music and green food. In addition to Seth's contribution of green apples, the boys enjoyed pickles, celery, green cupcakes with green frosting, green rice crispy treats, and green sherbet punch.
When I picked Seth up from after the party, I decided he should probably have some "real" food, so we went to Wendy's where they were giving away complimentary green Frostys with kids' meals. Well, if this wasn't the green icing on the cake! Seth was thrilled.
Walking to the car, with determination in his voice, he exclaimed: "Mom, I just love Saint Patrick's Day."
I happened to be volunteering in Ellery's class on St. Patrick's Day. Her teacher and I both marveled at how excited and delighted all the children were. I'm with you--St. Patrick's Day is pretty much a low-key holiday. I don't even drink green beer! (I did fix corned beef and cabbage but it didn't go over well.) Anyway, the kids in Ellery's class loved it lots and I'm glad I got to see them all love it lots!
ReplyDeleteMonica, I'm so glad you were able to be in Ellery's class that day. Isn't it such a blessing to still have a young child? You and I are most fortunate.
ReplyDelete