When we lived in Washington, our elementary school funded a program called Missoula Children's Theater. Each year, two actors would show up with a trailer full of sets, costumes, scripts, and props. They would audition a huge group of kids, cast most of them, rehearse them after school over the course of about a week, and then miraculously (and I do mean that most literally) put on an entire play. It was beyond crazy. And it was also wonderful. My four older kids had this opportunity for several years. I wish I could remember all the shows they were in and all the characters they played, but alas, I cannot. The only one that stands out is when Eli was in first grade and played a tarantula. I can't even remember the name of play, but he was seriously the cutest tarantula ever, smiling from ear to ear throughout the performance.Ironically, now that we actually live in Montana, our school does not have Missoula Children's Theater. Instead, the PTA sponsors a similar program though a local company called Venture Theater. It's not quite as polished or professional as Missoula, but the concept is the same, and it still provides a marvelous opportunity for kids to try out the art of theater, perhaps for the first time. Pictured above is Seth with some fellow cast members performing in the production "Go West!" just last evening. He played a Native American and had five lines which he delivered splendidly. This was his second year participating and most likely his favorite part of both fourth and fifth grades.
We have been in the parenting business for 26 years now, and we've attended various children's performances for at least 20 of those. It never gets old. It never gets tiresome. I always feel like the proudest mom there. I'm certain every other mom in the audience feels like she's the proudest, but right in the moment, I'm sure it's me. From primary programs to orchestra concerts, from dance recitals to spelling bees, from basketball games to track meets, from piano recitals to cheer competitions, from choir concerts to high school musicals, from fifth grade band concerts to Venture Theater plays, it's great to be a mom. So very, very great.
No comments:
Post a Comment