Yesterday was Eli's birthday. And it wasn't just any birthday; it was his 18th birthday. Eighteen - the age of legal adulthood. I always joke with our kids that, regardless of what the law says, they aren't really adults until they're fully self-supporting, which for our kids comes at some point later, once they're finished with missions and undergraduate degrees. Nevertheless, yesterday Eli joined his older three siblings as a legal adult with all the privileges and responsibilities attached. As he looks to the future, I think he feels a certain degree of angst, along with the excitement and anticipation. With college and mission right around the corner, who wouldn't? Change is scary. But Eli will do just fine. There is no doubt in my mind.Eli is special in so many ways. For one, his sweet personality and infectious smile make him irresistible. Everybody loves Eli. As his mom, I'm completely biased, but he's one of the most balanced, well-rounded kids I know. He enjoys so many different things. He loves to sing and to make others happy through song. Same with piano. He also enjoys sports, particularly basketball, and can be quite competitive. I don't think there was a happier soul alive than Eli last week when the Skyview Ward won the stake basketball championship. He told me he almost cried. He also loves church and has a steadfast testimony of the Gospel. Yesterday, on his birthday, he spoke in Sacrament Meeting about how he plans to serve an honorable mission and one day be a righteous husband, father, and Priesthood holder. This talk completed the final requirement for his Duty to God award.
So Happy 18th Birthday, Eli! The future is yours. Can't wait to sit back and watch what the world has to offer as you make your incredible mark on it.
Happy Birthday Eli!! We love you and can't wait for you to live close to us!! :-)
ReplyDelete