Do you like my new blog background? Do you like the rainbow? As I've mentioned before, I am hopelessly inadequate when it comes to beautifying this blog. I'm so technologically challenged that I can't figure out how to do much of anything. I look at other blogs that are so lovely. Some have pictures floating by, one after the other, sort of like electronic photo albums. Others have a variety of colors and different fonts, pretty wallpaper that changes depending on the season. How do people do these things? The only thing I know how to do is go to "Cutest Blog on the Block" and change the two columns that sandwich this center text block. That's it. And even that is not easy. It generally takes me several tries, so I don't do it often. This week, though, I was ready for a change. I needed something brighter, and I chose the rainbow. Here's why:
1. As a kid I was a member of a service organization called Rainbow Girls. Actually, I was more than just a member; Rainbow Girls pretty much consumed my life between the ages of 13 and 17. Several of us former Rainbow Girls are still in touch through Facebook. A couple of us even envisioned a reunion this summer, but the idea simply didn't take off. Nevertheless, for many of us, just seeing a rainbow brings back fond memories of formal dresses; garters; crowns; DeMolay boys; the Order of the Pillow (Don't even ask!); and a 3-day slumber party each year (AKA Grand Assembly).
2. Rainbows are bright, and after a gruelling Montana winter, we need bright things. We need to know that even though it doesn't quite feel like it yet, spring will come. It will. And summer after that. Warm days. Gentle breezes. NO SNOW. It will happen.
3. Rainbows offer hope. In the midst of turmoil and distress, the rainbow reminds us of God's promises and how He always keeps them no matter what. I remember last year when Gerald and I taught this story in our Gospel Doctrine class. "I do set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be for a token of a covenant between me and the earth" (Genesis 9:13). Rainbows remind me of covenants, and I am thankful.
4. Really, this is more like #3 continued. You have all heard the expression "Don't get your hopes up." Its intent is to shield us from future disappointment. If we don't get our hopes up, theoretically we won't be sad when what we hoped for doesn't turn out the way we...well, hoped. Just today, Shulamith and I were texting about a circumstance that might cause us to get our hopes up, some initial interest in our house. Not a genuine offer, mind you, but some early interest. (In case you haven't kept up with the blog, our house is on the market.) Shulamith said, "But we won't get our hopes up yet, right?" I concurred.
Then I thought back to something a friend once told me. She sometimes reads this blog, so if you're reading, Susie, know that your wise words do not go unnoticed. Susie said that once we're in a position to say "Don't get your hopes up," they're obviously already up, so we might as well just enjoy the hope. Spot on, Susie! So I decided if I want to feel hopeful about this situation with our house, I will. I realize that it's early and that much could go wrong. Maybe the prospective buyer won't make an offer after all. Maybe he or she will, but we won't like it. And even if we do like it, perhaps the buyer's financing with fall through. Indeed, much can go wrong. Still, why not enjoy the hope while it lasts?
So here's my new blog background. Though you many not be a former Rainbow Girl, I pray that the rainbow reminds you of something sweet from your childhood, of brighter days ahead, of God's promises and covenants, and of never-ending hope.
Honestly, I never noticed your blog background, just enjoy what you write :)
ReplyDeleteThank you, Diane. I appreciate that!
ReplyDelete