Saturday, August 20, 2011

Feelin' the Love

When we started to look at Boxer puppies a couple weeks ago, I was hesitant. You see, Gerald hates dogs. Why? I'm not sure. But for some reason, he has absolutely no use whatsoever for the canine race. Mind you, the only dog we've ever owned was an absolute nightmare. She was defective from birth, poor thing, and nothing but hassle the entire time we had her. If you want that story, go here. Since Chloe has been gone, Gerald has been adamant that we would never own another dog. "No dogs!" he has proclaimed.

So when Shulamith started talking about getting a Boxer, I had a bit of anxiety to say the least. Then two days ago, she found this sweet little girl in the photo above, and from just the pictures, we were both in love. Like totally in love with this dog. We had to decide right away, though, because the breeder was ready to adopt her out, and there were others who were interested. So I told Shulamith that if we got this dog, she would have to call her dad and tell him before we actually brought her home. Because even though it is Shulamith and Mathew's puppy, she will live in our house. So as we drove to Moroni, UT to meet up with the breeder, Shulamith called Gerald.

And what do you think he did? Did he yell at her and say mean things like "We are NOT getting a dog" or "Dogs are the biggest nuisances ever, and I don't know why any sane person would have one (like he would if I were getting the dog)"? Oh no, he did not do that. He did not yell. He did not make disparaging remarks about dog owners. After the initial gasp when he found out the breed we were getting and some comment like "Those dogs eat more than I do," he seemed perfectly fine with the whole idea. Hmmm.

We arrived in Moroni and waited not so patiently for maybe five minutes for the breeder to bring us our little puppy girl. She loved us right from the start. She is seriously the sweetest dog ever. Her disposition is calm and gentle, even though she is a puppy of only 12 weeks old. She likes to play, and she likes to cuddle, and she likes to chew. Then she likes to sleep. A lot. We're working on teaching her to love her leash and to go for walks. So far she likes to walk zigzag, so we trip on her leash, but she'll catch on. She's very smart.

My brother told me Boxers are the best dogs in the world, and he is absolutely right. We are definitely feelin' the love.

2 comments:

  1. Any pictures yet of Kitty and Gerald? What a great dad!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! No, Tom. I sort of doubt that will happen. She goes up to him and looks at him and wags her tail as if to say, "Aren't you going to pet me and talk to me like everyone else does?" but of course he just ignores her. :-)

    ReplyDelete