My last post brought many lovely comments. Thanks, everyone! One of the most suspenseful parts of my life happened, uh, let's just say a few years ago. I was a young bride (I'm still young but probably don't qualify as a bride anymore) and pursuing my career in education. I had goals. Serious goals. I would be a principal by the time I was 30 and in upper-level administration by 40.
Then the most amazing thing happened. Luke was born. I realize that the birth of a child is an everyday occurrence. It happens every second of every day in all parts of the world. To others, this event was not spectacular. For me, however, it was the single most defining moment in my life. Absolutely everything changed that day. I looked down at my tiny infant (okay, he was 9 pounds 12 ounces, but to me he was tiny), and he looked up at me. And the whole earth stood still. It felt as if time no longer existed. Worries, cares, troubles were not. In that moment, everything was absolutely perfect.
It was clearer to me than anything in the past had ever been that this was my destiny. This was my calling in life, more important than anything else I would ever do. TV talk show host Dr. Phil has remarked about his wife Robin: "She was put on this earth to be a mother." Me too! After Luke was born, I couldn't wait to see who would come next. And next. And next. And next! I was blessed to feel that same perfect joy four more times. Each time, I wondered how it could be as wonderful as previously, but it always was. This morning, as I walked Seth to school, the sun shone on our faces and the cool breeze rustled our hair, and I said a silent prayer of thanks for this child, who allows me the opportunity to continue to do what I love most. He is 11. How many more years will he want me to walk him to school? Not many. In fact, this is most probably the last. But for now, he really does. And I'll take it. I'll totally take it.
But let's go back to those career goals. What happened there? I quit teaching when Luke was born (no way I was leaving that precious baby with anyone else) but continued my pursuit of a master's degree. That turned out to be one of my wisest decisions. It wasn't easy. It took me a full five years, little by little, and by the time I finished, Luke was 4 and Shulamith was 2. That degree has made it possible for me to work in education on a very part time basis, teaching college-level writing classes here and there. While I no longer had the least desire to become a principal or even to teach full days, I still loved English, especially writing, and I enjoyed sharing my love for writing with others, particularly adults with genuine interest.
I had opportunity to teach writing classes at Skagit Valley College in Washington and most recently at Montana State University in Billings. As we prepared over the last year to move to Utah, people sometimes asked me, "Will you get a job there?" My reply was "Oh, I hope not!" That was partly a joke. What I meant was that if I chose to teach in Utah, it would need to be just exactly the right situation, and I doubted I would find that. But you know how these suspense films are; our predictions are usually wrong. Very soon after we moved, I learned of an opportunity at LDS Business College. LDSBC is part of the church education system along with the three campuses of Brigham Young University (Provo, Utah; Rexburg, Idaho; and Laie, Hawaii) and the numerous seminary and institute programs around the world.
I am both honored and excited to have been hired to teach writing part time at LDSBC this fall. I will teach MWF from 10:00 am - 3:00 pm., so I can get Seth off to school and be home just about the same time he is, and I can be home all day on Tues. and Thurs. Like I said, it would need to be just exactly the right situation. Our classes began this week. I have delightful students who seem eager to commit to a semester of hard work, teaching, learning, and fun.
What will the next chapter of my suspense film bring? I have no idea. But for now, this is good. This is all very good.
Congratulations! That's very exciting. I love your description of how becoming a mother changed everything. For me, that was my goal all along, but even though I was in love with Dietrich from the beginning having children has somehow seemed more miraculous and magical each time. What a glorious birthright it is to be a mother!
ReplyDelete