Friday, December 23, 2011

Deja Vu - Part II or We All Have to Do Hard Things


It seems this season is full of deja vu experiences. Back in April, I thought maybe my days of attending piano recitals were over. It was Eli's senior recital, the final one after eight years of lessons. It was lovely in every way, but yes, there was a bit of nostalgia in the air as well. I knew Eli would continue to play, and he has, but I also knew the days of preparing for these types of performances were over. He would not be majoring in music in college; he would continue to play simply for his own and others' enjoyment.

Seth had occasionally expressed some interest in piano, but not enough to cause me to pursue the idea. I only put kids in piano if they really want to be there. I'm not the least interested in fighting the practicing battles. No way! You don't want to practice; I don't want to pay for lessons. End of story. However, when we came here to Utah, Seth was not able to continue playing the trombone. His school doesn't have an elementary band program, unfortunately. He was disappointed enough that I suggested the possibility of piano, and he was enthusiastic. That was in September, and it has taken me three months to find a teacher and get him started.

At his recital Wednesday night, he played "Good King Wenceslas" after only three lessons. He is catching on fast. It comes naturally to him, just like playing the trombone did. I think he has an aptitude for music, and I hope he can pick up the trombone again next year at middle school. Isn't it fun to do the things we are good at? Isn't it a joy when learning something new comes easily? But I would also ask, is there any value in doing the hard things too? We all have to do hard things. That is part of the reason we are here. But it takes real courage to voluntarily attempt new things, when those things are challenging. I wonder, though, if we grow more from the steep learning curves.

Along with starting piano lessons this month, Seth also joined a recreational basketball team. His primary teacher invited him to join. Her husband is the coach. I was apprehensive to say the least. Activities that require physical skills, strength, and coordination do not come easily for Seth. Basketball is no exception, but it has been a pleasure to watch him work so hard at something that is such a challenge. He has had three games so far, and each week he improves so much. Most of the boys on his team have played before, and without question, all of them have more natural aptitude for sports than Seth, but he continues to push forward and do his best. I am proud of him.

His willingness to do the hard things has inspired me as well. To be honest, I am fairly content to stay right in my comfort zones avoiding those things that are difficult. Ask me to give a talk, teach a lesson, lead a discussion, write a blog post. No problem. Those things are easy. And fun! Seldom, though, to I jump out and try the really hard things, but after the New Year, I'm determined to do just that. I've decided to make a quilt for Shulamith's baby. I know, I know, you are all thinking to yourselves, "Oh, Terrianne, that is a disaster just waiting to happen." And yes, I've thought exactly the same thing. I've never so much as sewed on a button or made a hem. Never. I'm not sure I even know how to thread a needle.

However, when we lived in Washington, my best friend there made these beautiful baby quilts by hand. She did not use a sewing machine. This is good because I don't happen to own one of those, nor do I have the remotest idea how to operate one. But Joanne used to buy these cute quilt panels at fabric stores. Then she'd buy bottoms in solid matching colors and this white fuzzy stuff to put in between to make the quilts thick and soft. Then she would pin it all together and hand stitch all over the various patterns on the front of the quilt. I watched her do this with dozens of quilts, over and over. One time she was making one for her daughter Mandy, and she told me to do a few stitches, so Mandy would know I had worked on it too. And I did! I really did.

So I'm going to try this for Shulamith. Because here's the thing: If Seth can play basketball, I can sew a quilt. We all have to do hard things.

No comments:

Post a Comment