January is NOT my favorite month. Absolutely not. I've probably mentioned this at least a couple times on this blog. The problem is that in January, it's still cold, but Christmas is over. That's not good. Here in Utah, I'm much warmer than I ever was in Montana in January, but yes, it's still cold, about 21 degrees when I went out this morning. The good news is this cold, dark, depressing month is half over. And it hasn't been all that bad either. There have been some definite high points.
First, Gerald and I spent a couple days at "The Inn on the Hill" in downtown Salt Lake City over the weekend of January 2nd - 3rd. It is a beautiful place right up on the hill by the Capitol . Our room had a balcony with a view of the lights on Temple Square. So lovely!
Second, a week ago, I got to go hear the tiny heartbeat of Shulamith's baby. That sound is intimately familiar to me, having heard it dozens of times throughout my five pregnancies, yet it is always miraculous. A new and precious little spirit is on the way to Earth, already so loved by his or her family. In another couple of weeks, Shulamith and Mathew will be able to know the sex of their little baby. Will it be Swen or ????? (girl's name still undecided, although there are many, many great ideas!)
Third, this past weekend, I flew to Portland to visit my family. I was able to help my brother and a friend with a project they're working on and then spend some great time with my nieces and my mom. It was a quick trip but so worthwhile. I'm glad I was able to go.
Fourth, a week from Thursday is our first Hale Theatre production. Shulamith and I have season tickets, and we can't wait!
Fifth, progress toward my walking goal (1,200 miles in 2012) is well under way; I was even a couple miles ahead by last Friday. The trip to Portland was a bit of a setback, and I have some catching up to do, but I will make it. How's it going for you, Kim?
Sixth, (this is cheating a little because it moves us into February, but still...), on February 4th, Eli and Seth and I will go to Rexburg for Emma's baptism. A while back when I mentioned this to Seth, his response was "What? Emma is eight already? Well, she's just growing up way too fast." I cracked up inside when he said this. I mean at age eleven, he's nearly a senior citizen! When I finally stopped laughing, though, I realized he is absolutely right. How is it that Emma can be eight years old? That just doesn't make sense. But eight she is, and we are so excited to be there on her special day.
So, as I reflect on life this cold January night, I find that it's still not my favorite month. Nevertheless, there is much good to be found, not the least of which is a warm Kitty curled up here beside me.
Third, this past weekend, I flew to Portland to visit my family. I was able to help my brother and a friend with a project they're working on and then spend some great time with my nieces and my mom. It was a quick trip but so worthwhile. I'm glad I was able to go.
Fourth, a week from Thursday is our first Hale Theatre production. Shulamith and I have season tickets, and we can't wait!
Fifth, progress toward my walking goal (1,200 miles in 2012) is well under way; I was even a couple miles ahead by last Friday. The trip to Portland was a bit of a setback, and I have some catching up to do, but I will make it. How's it going for you, Kim?
Sixth, (this is cheating a little because it moves us into February, but still...), on February 4th, Eli and Seth and I will go to Rexburg for Emma's baptism. A while back when I mentioned this to Seth, his response was "What? Emma is eight already? Well, she's just growing up way too fast." I cracked up inside when he said this. I mean at age eleven, he's nearly a senior citizen! When I finally stopped laughing, though, I realized he is absolutely right. How is it that Emma can be eight years old? That just doesn't make sense. But eight she is, and we are so excited to be there on her special day.
So, as I reflect on life this cold January night, I find that it's still not my favorite month. Nevertheless, there is much good to be found, not the least of which is a warm Kitty curled up here beside me.
No comments:
Post a Comment