Most people these days are well familiar with recording artist, Adele, and especially her hit song "Someone Like You." It is one of Eli's favorites, so much so that he learned to play it on the piano and accompanied himself singing it last spring in Skyview's pops concert and again this fall for an audition at BYU-Idaho. He sings and plays it so well.
So today is a bit of a weepy day for me. What can I say? I'm not used to so limited contact with him. It's hard. Simple things catch me off guard, and I'm reduced to tears. It is a mother's job to cry at the MTC. Is it also her job to cry here and there afterward? I hope so. It happened this morning when I was putting in my contacts. You may remember that these dumb contacts have not been easy for me. I got them back in July, and I've experienced a love/hate relationship with them ever since. It took seven months and help from three different people (Matt, Gerald, and Eli) before I finally reached the point where I can get the things into my eyes each day. Oh, and in case you're wondering, no, I still don't see very well with them. But they do make it so I don't need stupid reading glasses that make me look way older than I really am, so they're worth the hassle.
As I was putting them in this morning, I had a flashback to when Eli was helping me. He stood in the bathroom with me for at least 20 minutes as I struggled to get them in. He watched carefully to try to determine what I was doing wrong. Ultimately, he suggested a different way of holding my eye open, and it helped a little. That, combined with Matt's and Gerald's suggestions, finally did the trick, but this morning, all I could think about was Eli. Remembering his patience and concern for me brought more tears.
Contacts in, I headed out for a walk, plugged in Pandora, and what do you think was the first song played? Of course! "Someone Like You." Ahhh. I went from tiny tears trickling down my face to full-scale bawling. I couldn't stop. I walked two miles, and once I had myself mostly together, I came home and checked the mailbox and found no letter from the MTC. What?! P-day was Monday, and in Eli's email he said he would be writing a snail mail letter right away. So why isn't it here by now? The MTC is just 30 miles south of us, and it's been three days. I was counting on that letter arriving today. More tears. More and more and more.
Yes, it's been a weepy day for sure. Tomorrow will be better, right?
"Don't forget me, I begged, I remember you said
Sometime it lasts in love, but sometimes it hurts instead."
No comments:
Post a Comment