Fact #1: It's not really fall. Technically, the first day of fall (autumn) is September 22nd. However, for me, "fall" means back to school, so in my world, it's fall. Both Mathew (U. of Utah) and Isaiah (Westminster College) began this past Tuesday and Wednesday, respectively. Seth (Union Middle School) started yesterday. My classes don't start for another two weeks (hooray!), and Shulamith is ever-so-happily not returning to school at all.
Fact #2: It is not fall weather. Not at all. This was our first full summer here in Utah, and they tell me it was untypical. I hope so. It's been in the mid-90s or higher almost every day for as long as I can remember. I find myself asking, "Which is worse, 103 degrees in the summer or -18 in the winter?" The answer is the Montana cold is worse, but I still hope this summer has been an anomaly. We attended back-to-school night at Seth's school on Thursday, from 5:30 to 8:15 pm, and it was unbearably hot. There is no AC, and all the classrooms face inward, so they have no windows. Those poor students, and those poor poor teachers! Apparently, the school has ordered swamp coolers, which are scheduled to arrive October 1st. Like that's gonna help. Meanwhile, we will be sending Seth each day with a large water bottle and praying for fall weather to come soon.
Fact #3: Fall means the season of dealing with this stupid yard is nearly over. Every time I go out there, I see more stuff I need to do. Have I mentioned that I really hate yard work? Oh yes, I guess I mentioned that here. And here. But it's worth repeating. I hate yard work. Right now I have blackberries ripening faster than I can pick them, along with peaches falling right off our tree. Help! On top of that, Shulamith has made it "our" September project to get the backyard in shape, so Swen has a place to play next summer. That means digging up huge weeds and then fertilizing and planting grass. But fall means the yard work really is nearly over. I have to believe that.
Fact #4: Fall always was, and continues to be, my favorite season. A true Washingtonian, I love rain, and in the Pacific Northwest, rain is plentiful in fall. While that is not the case here, I still attach so many positive feelings to this season. I also love holidays, and almost immediately after the school year begins, I can start thinking holidays! My birthday is in October, and right on its heels is Halloween. And just when we've taken down our last jack-o'-lantern decoration, it's time to think about turkeys and pilgrims and (most importantly!) BLACK FRIDAY. After that, of course, the real fun begins. I won't even say it aloud here in August, but you know what I mean. It's coming, friends; it's coming.
Fact #5: Fall means we regain some sense of routine. We go to bed earlier. We get up earlier. We FALL into a pattern and leave the random, serendipitous days of summer behind. I like that. I like routine. Already, it has begun. Even today on Saturday, both Isaiah and Seth were up before 10:00 a.m., which is unheard of during summer. Shulamith and I made it to the gym before 11:30 and, consequently, were able to take half a Zumba class, the first time since Swen was born. I forgot how much I love Zumba. It's by far my favorite of all cardio activities, so much more fun than the elliptical or cycling machines or the treadmill.
So welcome fall. Welcome school. Welcome cooler weather (please!). Welcome dormant lawns. Welcome holidays. Welcome routine. Welcome fall.
No comments:
Post a Comment