I finally got to meet Olivia. I had to wait 3-1/2 months. That wasn't the plan, but life doesn't always cooperate with my plans, regardless of how well devised they are. My friend Lindsey was due to deliver her fourth baby June 2nd. Shulamith wasn't due until June 26th. Perfect, I thought! Lindsey usually delivers a few days early; Hanna was scheduled to be induced on my birthday, Oct. 20th, but refused to be told what to do and made her appearance on the 17th, nearly four years ago. My plan seemed flawless. Lindsey would have her baby girl sometime in late May, giving me plenty of time to go to Rexburg and meet her, long before Shulamith would be even close.
Or not.
As it turned out, Olivia Faith Mecham was born on May 22nd, and before I could even think about getting up to Rexburg, Swen was born on May 26th. They are just four days apart! We're pretty sure they'll get married one day, but that's a whole different blog. Anyway, the three months following are a blur. A happy blur, but a blur nonetheless. My life was consumed with taking care of Shulamith, who was recovering from both HELLP Syndrome and a C-section, and helping her and Matt take care of a tiny, tiny newborn. And the days and weeks flew by.
Now both babies are over three months old, and I decided it was time to go to Rexburg to meet Olivia. I hadn't seen Lindsey and her family in five months, since way back when they were here for Eli's farewell. I missed them. Lots. Still, the idea of leaving Swen for two whole days was more than a little bit foreboding. How could I not hold him for 48 hours? Well, let me just say it wasn't easy. Shulamith sent me pictures throughout the weekend, and of course holding little Olivia helped. She is adorable. Just see for yourself:
In addition, Emma, Jase, and Hanna happen to be three of my most favorite people in the history of ever, so yeah, it was pure delight getting to hang with them. May I share some of our conversations?
I was playing Duudle, and losing of course. Emma volunteered to help. We got the word "fish tank." I did my best, drawing a rectangle with something resembling fish inside. Kind Emma said, "That looks like a fish tank, Terrianne, but if you did this...." and she proceeded to fix my fish so they actually looked like fish. And Shulamith guessed it on her first try. Thank you, Emma!
My Jase-man is growing to be tall and lean. My goodness, he is so grown up. I didn't get a lot of time to talk to him because he carries the "Y" chromosome and, consequently, is already addicted to video-games, but he is awesome. And then there is Hanna. Her long blond curls and charming smile make her positively irresistible. I think she could seriously be a model. What do you think?
At one point, she was extremely helpful. I was having a conversation with Olivia, responding to her babbling with such things as "Really, Olivia? What else happened? Can you tell me more about that story?" Hanna, in attempt to inform me of my error, said: "Terrianne! She doesn't know how to talk." Ha!
Of course my time with Lindsey was lovely. You know the post that circulates around Facebook, the one about true friends? It doesn't matter how far apart they are or how much time passes between visits; when they are reunited, it is exactly the same. It is as though they were never separated. Yup, that's how it is with her and me. And I get to see her AGAIN this weekend. Can you believe that? Isaiah is buying David's old car, and they are bringing it here on Saturday. Wow!
Here is one final picture, their whole family together.
Meeting Olivia...It was worth the wait!



Oh, my goodness! What gorgeous hair Hanna has! And Olivia looks like such a sweet newborn. Lindsey's kids are pretty dang cute, all right.
ReplyDelete