Sunday, August 11, 2013

And they're off...


Backpacking.

It is a legend in our family. For over 20 years, Gerald has been taking our kids, just as soon as they're old enough to be safe, on overnight backpacking trips. In Washington, they hiked the Cascades; in Montana, it was the Beartooth Mountains; and now in Utah, there are a crazy number of choices right close to home.

Me? No. I don't backpack. I love a good day hike, not so much because I enjoy hiking, but because it's a super good calorie burn, so I feel like I can eat whatever I want on hiking days. But overnight backpacking? No. I did it once. It was back when we were very newly married, newly enough that I wasn't even pregnant yet, so it had to be within a few months of our wedding. I tried my best. I really did. But the problem is that I am a woman, and a curvy one that that. I really don't think women were ever intended to sleep on the ground. We have too many curves. My hip bones dug right into the hard earth, and I barely slept at all. Then, on the way out, I was eaten alive by mosquitoes. They just love me so much! Yeah, that was the one and only time I went backpacking.

But Gerald loves it. He loves it so much that he is willing to do whatever it takes to make sure our kids have positive experiences and great memories, and they all do, every one of them. Countless stories have come home from the dozens of backpacking trips he has taken with one or more of the kids. I'll never forget the time he came home from a trip with Luke and Shulamith. Isaiah and Eli were still tiny, and Seth was not yet with us. Luke had severe asthma as a baby and young child. Most times that asthma was triggered by viruses, but occasionally his allergies would cause a reaction. Gerald walked in the door, followed by Shulamith, followed by Luke, who honestly looked like an alien. Oh how I wish I had a picture to show you, but imagine this: his ears were swollen to about twice their size, and his eyes were nearly swollen shut. His entire face was red and itchy. I was FRANTIC! We got him some Benedryl right quick, and he improved immediately, but it was scary.

But my favorite story of all Erichsen-Webster backpacking history is one told to me by Luke, NOT Gerald. The two oldest kids were young; it might have even been their first trip. I'm guessing they were maybe 7 and 6, or there about. Now keep in mind that when they were that young, Gerald didn't make them carry anything. Like not a single thing. He would carry the tent, all three sleeping bags and pads, all the food and cooking equipment, absolutely everything. So his pack was heavy. Very heavy. Apparently, Shulamith was having a "moment," and she no longer wanted to hike. She was tired. She was hot. She was done. But there was still plenty of mountain to climb before they would reach their campsite. So what did Gerald do? He left Shulamith sitting in some shade and carried his pack up the trail 100 feet or so. Then he went back, picked up Shulamith, and carried her up to his pack. Then he did it again. Over and over and over, until she was feeling better and able to walk herself. But when I asked him how the trip went, he didn't mention this story at all. I wouldn't know about it if it weren't for Luke. Gerald told me it was an amazing trip and that everyone did well. That's how much he loves to hike. That's how much he loves his children.

And the legend continues. Pictured above are Gerald and Seth at the trail head where I dropped them off this afternoon. They will spend the next two days up in the mountains together. They took cards and a cribbage board. They took lots of yummy snacks and plenty of sports drink. And this time, Seth even carried his own pack. I hope they have an incredible experience as they add to the memories that will never fade.

Meanwhile, I will sleep comfortably in my bed.  :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment