Monday, October 21, 2013

Knocking with conviction OR "This is what being on a mission is all about!"

Many of you are probably thinking, "Why is she writing about missionary work yet again?" It's true, three of my five posts so far in October have related to missions. I wasn't intending to post this today, or to post anything at all for that matter. But then I received Eli's weekly p-day email.

As you know, I've been helping out our sister missionaries a lot lately; almost every day I go out and do something with them. Though I always had some idea what missionaries do, never until now did I fully recognize the entirety of their commitment, the endless hours walking up and down the same streets, riding bikes, knocking on doors, talking to people with a boldness that I, myself, lack. Last night we were out fairly late (for them), around 8:30. We went to the door of a lady we talked to last week. She was sweet and receptive, but her daughter, who lives with her, told us the following day that Pat wasn't interested in the Church. The sisters would like to hear that from Pat directly, so back we went last night. I might have been a bit hesitant after the conversation we had with the daughter. I might have knocked lightly. But not Sister Gonzales. She walked right up to the door and knocked with conviction. When no one answered, she did it again. No fear. Only the purest desire that all may have the invitation to come unto Christ.

Gerald and I always said that we would never force a kid out on a mission. Missions are difficult enough even when you want to go. The days are long, and there is much rejection. But the blessings are exponential! We were thrilled when Luke decided to serve, but we for sure waited until it was completely his idea. Eli has always desired to serve a mission. From the time he was a little boy, this was his goal, his plan, his expectation. So just days after his 19th birthday, he entered the MTC. That was 19 months ago, and it has been everything and more than he hoped for. The love he has for the work, the gospel, the people of Tennessee, his companions, his mission president, his family at home, and the Savior, grows with each passing day. It radiates through his weekly emails. On Saturday he had the privilege to attend the Memphis, Tennessee Temple with two people he taught and baptized over a year ago, when he served in Blytheville, Arkansas. I would like to share with you his thoughts about that:

"The temple was AMAZING! Words cannot even describe how I felt there. Getting to see two friends experience the blessings of the temple; there's nothing better. There were 5 people there going through for their own endowment. A couple who got sealed right after the session, a young man preparing to go on a mission, and Phyllis and John. I will attach pictures to this email of them. This is what being on a mission is all about. Sharing with people the joy that I have felt from this gospel by helping them make sacred covenants. I don't know how else to describe it except amazing! Wonderful! I did not see Sister Lowe there, but I saw lots of other people from the Blytheville Ward there to support Phyllis and John. Something else that's awesome is that Phyllis's brother James, who I baptized, will hopefully be sustained and receive the Melchizedek Priesthood at Stake Conference next month and is preparing to go through the temple shortly after. So Stake Conference is November 10th, and they are planning on having him go sometime in November. Transfers are on the 20th of November, so if he goes through the temple before then, or if I stay in Arlington or get transferred somewhere somewhat near the temple, I'll get to go with him!! That was a mouthful, hopefully that all makes sense.  

So the best part about the temple was after the session, Phyllis came up to me in the Celestial Room with tears in her eyes and said, "I wouldn't be here if it weren't for you." I got tears in my eyes too. I'm so glad I am on a mission right now! I wouldn't rather be anywhere else! It's like that plaque you have says something like, "A missionary is someone who leaves his family for 2 years so that others can be together with their families for eternity." Hopefully someday Phyllis will be sealed to her daughters and her deceased husband. There's a bunch of family history work that she can do now too so that her ancestors can receive saving ordinances as well. The church is true!!"




I wonder if some of my missionary mom friends have tears in their eyes just as I do. 

And I promise, next post will be on a different topic than missionary work. Thanks for hangin' in there with me.  :-)

1 comment: