Sunday, January 12, 2014

I Have Seen True Love

There is much that is wrong in the world. There is war, poverty, violence, and gross social injustice. There is sickness and suffering. Everywhere we look, we see people in pain; everyone fights some battle. For certain, adversity is part of the human experience, and it must be so, if we are to recognize and appreciate the good, and grow in character toward our highest potential. But with all that is wrong, there is so much that is right. I know, because I have seen true love.

I have seen true love in a Christmas gift. Those of you who know Shulamith, know that she has a crazy aversion to all fruits and vegetables. The mere smell of fruit makes her gag. Just this evening, her toddler was eating a Frosted Strawberry Mini Wheat, and she almost had to leave the room. Yet for Christmas, she gave her husband an electric juice extractor. Why? Because he once mentioned that he wanted one. Now, every day, he goes to the store and buys all varieties of fruits and veggies and brings them home to their apartment and makes juice. Sometimes she has to come upstairs just to escape the smell, yet she is so happy because he likes her gift. I have seen true love.

I have seen true love in a dog. Yesterday our Boxer, Kitty, was sound asleep on the floor, when Baby Swen decided to run over and poke her straight in the eye, and say "eyes," demonstrating his knowledge of facial features. Kitty barely flinched. Swen has also decided that he likes to feed Kitty, except only on his terms. He sits on the couch and throws dog food to her, one morsel at a time. Could Kitty take the whole bowl of food away from him and eat like a normal dog? Of course she could. But she doesn't. I have seen true love.

I have seen true love in two nineteen-year-old missionaries. Relentlessly and joyfully, from the time their alarm sounds at 6:30 a.m. until they fall exhausted into bed at 10:30 p.m., they brave the frozen streets of Midvale, Utah on their bikes. They knock, they teach, they bear witness, they invite. They laugh, they cry, they carry on. Over and over. Day after day. They experience rejection and mocking. They do this unselfishly and without praise, all for the benefit of their fellow human beings. I have seen true love.

I have seen true love in a neighbor. When our second child was born, we had just moved to a new town where we knew no one. I had a 17-month-old toddler, a colicky newborn, and a husband whose brand new job required long hours and allowed little time off. I felt stranded inside our tiny apartment with two needy babes. A kind soul named Jean, who didn't know me from Adam (Eve?), began to visit me. She would load up her mini-van with my two kids and me and take us to the park to play. She would bring us treats. She would hold my baby even when she cried because in her words, "If I don't hold her when she's crying, I'll never hold her." She was there for me at a time when I most needed a friend. I have seen true love.

In my life, just like everybody else, I have experienced adversity. I have felt hurt and misunderstood. I have been sad and disappointed and angry. I have felt unwelcome and alone. But despite all this, I am blessed beyond measure. Because far more often, I have seen true love. 

No comments:

Post a Comment