We have already established I am a terrible cook. Don't believe me? Just ask Seth.
Mom (pleadingly): Seth, why won't you eat anything I cook?
Seth: Because you're a terrible cook.
Or Eli.
First letter from the MTC two years ago: "All the other missionaries are complaining about the food here and saying how much they miss their moms' cooking. But honestly, this is the best food I've eaten in my entire life!"
Convinced? Good.
So it's always shocking when people ask me for a recipe. I mean why would anyone want to cook the same crappy food that we eat here?
Occasionally, though, there is an exception, and this is one of those times. A year or so ago, Shulamith and I were visiting my mom in Portland, and she made us this yummy breakfast, a casserole thing with eggs, cheese, sausage, and tater tots all mixed together. It was delightful. She told us how "easy" it is to prepare, to which I replied, "I've heard that before. Cooking is never easy. Never!" Still, she wrote down the recipe, and it didn't look terribly difficult, so we tried it.
And it actually worked. Crazy!
So this breakfast casserole has become a staple at our house for all holidays and other special occasions. And we made it yesterday for Eli's homecoming brunch. Several people asked for the recipe, way too many for me to remember, so I decided it would be much easier to just post it here for anyone who wants it. Here goes:
12 eggs (beaten slightly)
2 C. cheddar cheese (grated)
2 C. swiss cheese (grated)
1 package frozen tater tots
1/4 C. milk
1 package frozen, fully cooked sausage links (sliced)
salt and pepper
Grease 9 X 13 glass baking dish. Dump in frozen tater tots. In a large bowl, mix eggs, milk, cheddar cheese, sausage, and salt and pepper. Pour over tater tots. Top with swiss cheese. Refrigerate overnight. Bake at 350 degrees for an hour. (Ours took a bit longer than an hour to get done.)
There ya go, my friends. Enjoy!
I remember this casserole from Shulamiths' shower this summer! And you're absolutely right- it's delicious! Sometimes people use white bread for these and they turn out a little boring, but the tater tots are a genius idea! I also love that it doesn't call for onions (which I DESPISE), like most do.
ReplyDeleteI'm gad you liked it, Lacey. I actually think it would be GREAT with onions, but my family would not agree. :-)
Delete