Sunday, June 1, 2014

He didn't have to walk. He did it for me.




I've heard it said that the only people who say money doesn't matter are those who have lots of it.

I disagree.

I don't have lots of it. I never have. I probably never will.

In fact, those who research happiness and what specific things make people happy find, hands down, that, with the exception of those who are so poor as to lack the most basic needs in life (and those people really do exist right here in the United States, which is reprehensible, but that's a different post for a different time), our happiness is not in any way connected to how much money we have.

Indeed, everything else matters more. This thought came to me yesterday, as I sat for what seemed like hours (wait--it didn't SEEM like hours; it WAS hours!) waiting for the name "Isaiah Webster Erichsen" to be called, and to see my baby walk across the stage to receive his Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science from Westminster College. The speakers were mediocre at best; nevertheless, one quote from the keynote speaker's remarks struck me.

He said: "You can make a living from what you get, but you make a life from what you give."

Surely, a life of service is a life well spent. Our Isaiah is a classic middle child. I've said this before, and it doesn't change. He prefers to remain in the background, under the radar, unnoticed. He has few needs. He asks for little. But he loves us, and we all know it. He gives many gifts to our family, not the least of which is his understated, dry, and utterly hilarious sense of humor. He brings into our home something foreign to the rest of us: basketball. We watch him watch NBA games, about which we care nothing, but as he informs us about players and statistics and scores and averages and past games and draft picks and more, we become involved. We start to actually care about whatever team he is cheering for that day, because well, passion is contagious. And he is passionate about basketball. It's so weird.

For sure, though, my quiet, unassuming introvert had zero interest in walking through commencement exercises. He does not like to be the center of attention. He finds these types of ceremonies unnecessary, meaningless, and excruciatingly boring. So why did he walk? He did it for me. Why was it important to me? Well, you see, these ceremonies (though boring, yes) represent something important. They represent a great accomplishment. They represent victory. Victory over not only exams and deadlines and essays and programming projects, but victory over fears and insecurities and weaknesses. And I believe in celebrating those victories.

Gerald and I have always valued education. We set a goal to help all our kids through their undergraduate degrees, assuming they were interested and willing to put forth the effort. We didn't want lack of money to stand in the way, and we definitely didn't want their educations to place a burden on their future spouses. I've been told that unless a kid pays for his own education, without outside help, he won't value it. I disagree. My family helped me through my first degree, and I can hardly think of anything I value more! So while it was, and continues to be, a fairly significant financial sacrifice, we are thrilled to be able to help them through. And, by the way, our record now is "3 down, 2 to go!" Yeah, baby!

Proud Parents

Isaiah's oldest brother flew from Indiana to attend the graduation, bringing the seven original Erichsen-Websters together for the first time in 3 1/2 years. I don't like the picture of me because my eyes are totally squinty from the dumb sun, but it's the only one we got of all seven of us, so look at everyone else and not me, K, thanks!



This was my favorite photo of the whole day. These two bros, though different as night and day, have always been the best of friends. I hope they always are.



"We can make a living from what we get, but we make a life from what we give."

My dearest Isaiah, I do not know where life will lead you. I can't predict what path will be yours. But I do know this: You have tremendous potential to be a force for good in the world. Your heart is pure and your values strong. Thank you for giving me the gift of watching you graduate yesterday. You didn't have to walk. You did it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment