Monday, October 27, 2014

Do you skip, cut, or sluff?

We have already established that Utahns have some vernacular that is foreign to us outsiders. For example, in Utah, they "tend" children. We tend sheep, but never children. In Utah, they drink "soda." We drink "pop." They go "out" to church, while we simply go to church. I am learning.

But last Friday, I discovered a new one. When I picked Seth up from school, he mentioned that because it was the last day of the term, lots of kids decided to "sluff." Or maybe it's spelled "slough"? I don't know. This is a new one to me. Apparently, it means to deliberately not attend school.

Where I'm from, we call that "skipping." Or sometimes "cutting."

"I was tired, so I skipped math today" or "No one noticed that I cut the last half of the school day."

But I guess here in Utah, kids "sluff."

Why does this interest me? Um, because I'm a language nerd. So this isn't much of a blog post, but I am curious, so I'm posting anyway.

Inquiring minds want to know.

Do you skip, cut, or sluff? 

1 comment:

  1. What? I just read an essay from one of my students, who told of an experience when she "ditched' school. Add that one to the list.

    ReplyDelete