My children totally crack me up sometimes. I'm sure all moms think their kids are the funniest, but mine are flippin' hilarious.
Our world traveler, Isaiah, is in full swing this month. He's in New Orleans this week, then home one night, then off to San Francisco for a week, then home one night, followed by a week in Quebec. So glad he focused so hard in French class (NOT!). Four days after Quebec he's off to Toronto for a week, followed by a week in San Diego. If this schedule sounds grueling, keep in mind it's apparently his choice.
Last month he spent 10 days in Australia, and that trip included his office's Software Development Manager. To backtrack, Isaiah's degree is in Computer Science. He spent four years learning to write code. But the job he has now is not in development, but rather IT support. He images computers with appropriate software and then travels onsite to events and conventions to set up and maintain those computers. Though the company would not have hired him without his CS degree, he claims he had the skills to do this job before even graduating high school.
While in Australia, the Development Manager repeatedly suggested to Isaiah that he apply for one of the Dev positions available. "It would be such a great career move, Isaiah." Developers make more money for sure, but they also travel far less, like less than a quarter of what Isaiah does. And that is apparently a huge drawback for Isaiah.
In his words: "I'd be a boring 'I wanna die' office worker!"
Then there's Shulamith. She is my problem solver, my own personal "Olivia Pope." Last night I participated in a debate on Sidelines, a company I freelance for. I didn't know when I started how long it would take, but in the end, it took over three hours!. As Shulamith and I texted periodically throughout the evening, she would say, "Is that STILL going on?" We discussed whether it was worth giving up an entire evening when I could be doing so many other productive things like watching TV, and her opinion was that it couldn't possibly be worth it.
But then I reminded her that I don't get "Rep" for watching TV. What is Rep, you might wonder? I'm not really sure. It represents this numbering system. Every time you post or comment on a post, they give you more Rep, and your Rep score grows and grows, raising you to new levels, one after the other. I'm currently at Level 5, for example, with a Rep score of 4,074. But what does that mean? Honestly, I have no idea. I just love to write, so I love Sidelines.
As I'm explaining to Shulamith that I get tons of Rep for participating in this debate so I can't quit and watch TV, she texts back, "Don't worry. I will give you Rep. I just gave you some. You are now a Level 3. Congratulations!"
You may not think they're that funny, but my kids totally crack me up.
No comments:
Post a Comment