My latest Netflix binge is the CBS seven-season drama The Good Wife. To say I'm obsessed is an understatement, but not as bad as Shulamith, who is already on the seventh season while I'm just in the middle of the fourth. I love the show; it's the perfect replacement while Suits is on break, but no, it never consciously occurred to me to start dressing like the characters.
Until I went shopping in Portland.
Back story, my mom has been buying me clothes literally my entire life. And she's really, really good at it. I remember in high school, girls complaining about their moms' taste in clothes: "My mom buys me the ugliest clothes, and then she expects me to wear them!" I could never relate. My mom is the best shopper I know, and she is especially good at finding perfect clothes for me. She gets my style. And she has this crazy sixth sense that, with few misses, can tell if an article of clothing on the rack is going to look good on me, even before I try it on.
So this past August when she said those magic words, "Let's go shopping; I want to buy you some clothes," I was like, "Uh...yeah!"
It turned out well. The new fall lines were out even though it was still sweltering hot. She bought me several different tops and three lovely dresses, none of which I would be able to wear until the weather cooled down. So I packed them in my suitcase, flew home, and hung them deep in the closet with my other fall/winter clothes.
Finally last week, the seasons changed. Temperatures dropped, quite suddenly it seemed, and I needed to pull out my fall/winter wardrobe. At that point I had pretty much forgotten what these new dresses even looked like, having only tried them on once in a dressing room in Portland back in August. But when I put on this red one, Shulamith immediately remarked, "You look just like Alicia Florrick." Alicia is the lead character in The Good Wife, so I went straight to a mirror to see for myself.
Sure enough! This dress does look like something Alicia would wear. I can pretend I'm a high-powered, corporate lawyer. Woo.
Today, I pulled out this black and royal blue sweater dress and put on some black tights and boots and thought to myself, "The red dress is definitely 'Alicia,' but this one? This one is totally Kalinda Sharma." Now I can pretend I'm a brave investigator who goes into sketchy places and doesn't get scared (which is the total opposite of me).
So there you have it...my Good Wife dresses. Alicia, Kalinda, and me.


No comments:
Post a Comment