Monday, December 25, 2017

A quiet, peaceful non-Christmas Day

Here I sit, reclined in my rocking chair, heated blanked spread across my lap. I awoke this morning at 5:00 a.m. to teach two Chinese lessons in a row. As I bid goodbye to my first student, a new kid I'd never met before, his mom came on the screen, smiled big and said to her son, "Wish your teacher a Merry Christmas!"

"Merry Christmas, Teacher," the little boy tried to say.

How lovely! For the most part, they don't celebrate Christmas in China, but still they know. They may not understand its meaning or deeper significance, but still they know. They know it's an important day and that those of us teaching English to their children have sacrificed part of that special day for them.

Granted, for me, it's not a huge sacrifice. We are not celebrating Christmas today, but instead have moved our celebration two days forward. Tuesday night will be our Christmas Eve activities, and then Christmas will be all day Wednesday. It was tricky this year to find a time that worked for everyone, and we are super excited.

So while most of you, my friends, are right this second in the midst of your full-on celebrations, I sit here in my chair. After my two Chinese lessons, I slept two hours. It was that crazy good, morning sleep, the kind you can't replicate at night. Now it's amazingly quiet. And peaceful. Gerald left for work while I was teaching VIPKID. Seth, Eli, and Amanda are still fast asleep. Seth will go to work at noon. Yes, for the first time ever the Mac Shack is open Christmas Day. He offered to work, once he learned we had moved our Christmas. Of all my kids, Seth hates it the most when we need to move the day. He feels cheated when all his friends are opening their gifts and he has to wait.

But guess what??? Shhhhhhh! Don't tell him. This year, to offset that unhappiness, I got one gift for him to open this morning. It's all wrapped up, and he has no idea at all that he'll get to open something today. I'll surprise him with it just before he leaves for work at noon.

Once Eli and Amanda wake up, we will have a small celebration here, as they open their gifts to each other. And may I just say, there are a few of those. Like hundreds. Or millions. Okay, hyperbole, maybe, but remember that time before you had kids and bills and more kids and more bills, and you showered each other with Christmas gifts? I remember. Well, that's what's going on here today.

I offered to leave for awhile, to give them the house and some privacy for their own little Christmas. I could go for a walk, or find someplace open with Internet and drink Diet Coke and browse online. But sweet Amanda said no. Have I mentioned how grateful I am for her and that Eli found such a thoughtful and caring partner with whom to share eternity? She said they totally planned on me being with them while they open their gifts. Unless I don't want to. Are you kidding? Terrianne: The Christmas Mom of all time? Of course I want to watch them open their presents! I can hardly wait! In fact, I'm sitting here excited, wishing they would wake up and get started.

So that is about it for our non-Christmas day. I'll tag back with ya later this week to report the details of Tuesday night and Wednesday. There are some dang good surprises to come. Meanwhile, may I include some photos of my Christmas house before it's all torn apart (somewhat literally) tomorrow night and Wednesday? Just for the blog record. Thanks!

So it's been a bit of a troublesome tree this year; nevertheless, it's beautiful!

Our Charlie Brown tree. "'And on earth, peace." That's what Christmas is all about, Charlie Brown.'

The stockings were hung by the [staircase] with care...

My children's photos with Santa through the years

December is the only month I love to get the mail. Greetings, updates, and well wishes from friends, near and far.

My favorite of all! 
I wrote in more detail about it here, but this nativity is a gift from four people, who piece by piece, made it the beauty it is. Thank you, Mom, Amanda, Desiree, and Lacey.



No comments:

Post a Comment