Wednesday, December 25, 2019

Let's just read books and watch TV all the time.



Me: Let's not teach any more classes. Let's just read books and watch TV all the time.
Shulamith: Done.

Shulamith and I both teach a couple English classes at Salt Lake Community College, and we recently completed fall semester, giving us four full weeks of break. Needless to say, we really like it.  Break, that is. So much so that this afternoon as I finished the book I was reading, The Woman in the Window, I texted Shulamith, which resulted in the above conversation. Honestly, I think I would be perfectly content to read books and watch TV all my days. And eat good food, of course. And walk. Don't worry, Emily, I won't stop walking. I have walked for so long, I think my body would rebel in a big way if I ever stopped.

With the year end approaching, friends have been posting their favorites of 2019: books, TV shows, movies, memes, etc. In addition, I've seen a few "least favorite" posts, including two about least favorite Christmas carols. I decided I needed in on the action, so here goes:

I didn't see enough movies to make much of a list, but hands down, the best one I saw this year was Rocketman, the biographical musical drama based on the life of Elton John. It doesn't hurt that I crazy love his music (and him!), but seriously, this film is so well done. Pure delight. Isaiah and I sang every song. Later in the year, Isaiah surprised me with not only the best concert I saw in 2019 (okay, it was the only concert I saw in 2019), but the best concert I've seen in my whole life. Highlights here!

Honorable mention goes to the documentary Won't You Be My Neighbor? based on the legacy of Fred Rogers, creator and host of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. 

Moving from big screen to small, I like a lot of shows, all pretty much the same genre. We've already established that I'm a reality TV failure, and I'm not that good at comedy either. I can count on one hand the number of comedies I've really loved, and none of those aired this past year. So sorry JoJo Siwa, but I'm definitely not gonna "Hold the Drama." It's all I like to watch! I've narrowed my faves of 2019 down to three, in this order:

#3 Almost Family. I know, I know, it seems like the stupidest plot ever, so stupid that I'm not even gonna tell you about it. You just have to watch. The strength of this show are its characters. All of them. They're quirky and complicated just like the rest of us, and endearing right down to their souls.

#2 A Million Little Things. This one hooked me from the first episode, when the most influential character of the series dies. After that, he appears in occasional flashbacks, but really, his presence is felt most deeply through the impact he had on all the other characters, through whom the writers explore and interrogate the most basic meanings of friendship.

#1 This is Us. Despite the glaring grammatical error in its title (Ugh!), this show easily wins first place in my heart. With nothing short of brilliance, these writers move us back and forth in time. Maybe I'm just fond of dead characters (and no, I never watched The Walking Dead - way too violent!), but the hero Jack Pearson, alive only in flashbacks, breathes life into this show in a way few can equal. The story's essence is Jack: his wife, his kids, their kids, and then back the other way to his dad, mom, and brother. I'm captivated every single episode by how the show presents parallel plot lines, as it moves seamlessly and effortlessly through time. Watch it. You won't be disappointed.

Honorable mention goes to Jane the Virgin, a telenovela that explores the strength of women, the strength of family, and the vulnerability that always accompanies genuine love. It's a fun one, and a little bit comedy to prove that I don't totally suck at comedy.

Way more challenging than movies, concerts, or TV shows is to figure out my favorite books. I read so, so many. So many stories. So many characters. So much angst. So much joy. It's hard to remember. I have four lovely suggestions, but I can't guarantee they are my for sure favorites of 2019, because I could be forgetting something wonderful. If so, my apologies.

#4 Where the Crawdads Sing. I always say that all good literature is true, because it speaks of life, and in doing so, communicates to readers what it is to be alive and human. By this definition, Crawdads, though obviously fiction, is true in every way. As we read, we live and breathe right alongside Kya, the marsh girl, abandoned by everyone, yet strong and resilient, and that's enough right there. Don't want to spoil anything for those of you who haven't yet had the pleasure.

#3 Small Great Things. Through the story of Ruth Jefferson, an African American labor and delivery nurse, we are smacked square in the face with the uncomfortable topics of racial injustice, prejudice, and hate, in a way that makes us squirm mightily. And squirm we should.

#2 Just Mercy. Disclaimer: I've only read 30%. I started it too late because I was finishing another book for my book group, and then my loan expired. It's back on my Kindle queue, but it's popular, so I'm still waiting. But even with just 30%, it finds its way to #2 on my list. It's that good. The only non-fiction on my list (remember, all good literature is true, but this story actually happened), this book is like a train wreck. It's so awful, but I couldn't stop reading, and when it disappeared, I felt simultaneously relieved for the break and desperate to have it back.

#1 The Things We Cannot Say. While all story elements are important: plot, characters, setting, point of view; for me, it's all about voice. I yearn to hear a genuine, honest voice, and this book delivers exactly that. Woven beautifully between WWII Poland and modern day, this story threw me head-over-heels in love with both protagonists, Alina, the young girl in worn-torn Poland, and Alice, the woman plagued by her quest to uncover a family secret. The story causes us to reflect on secrets, indeed the things unsaid, those that protect as well as those that do harm, and the brave souls who fight to know the difference.

Honorable mentions include The Silent Patient; Little Fires Everywhere; Where'd You Go, Bernadette?; and Every Note Played.

Finally, for the fun of it, let's talk about crappy Christmas carols (oooh, gotta love that alliteration). I've heard numerous rants about the song "Baby It's Cold Outside." Is it promoting date rape, with lines such as "Say, what's in this drink?" and "I like to think of it as opportunistic"? Okay, yeah, I can see that inference. I can. But I don't think this was the song's intent really; maybe I'm naive? I actually sort of like the song, truth be told. Sorry to those who hate it.

Then there's debate over "Mary, Did You Know?" citing Luke 1:26-35, where the angel appears to Mary and foretells the coming of the Savior and his mission. Again, I get it. But I'm okay suspending reality just a bit. After all, we set up manger scenes with both shepherds and wise men, who in reality, visited the babe years apart, and as Gerald noted in a post, we sing about how He never cried, which is incredulous considering he was a human baby. So maybe it's okay if we sing a pretty song that asks Mary if she knew.

Another favorite to hate on is "Grandma Got Ran Over By A Reindeer." My biggest issue with this one is, again, GRAMMAR! Come on, people. Otherwise, the song kind of makes me laugh. I guess I just don't take it seriously enough, and also, I have this fond memory my mom carrying Luke (Born Dec. 4th) around the house, singing this song to him to sooth his newborn cries.

So what songs don't I like, you are dying to know? Counting down the three crappiest Christmas carols. Second disclaimer: I still sing numbers 3 and 2, because they're as old as dirt and everyone sings them. I just don't care for the meaning in the lyrics.

#3 "Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer." This song presents a terrible example of bullying and shunning a poor reindeer because of his appearance, then loving him only when he's desperately needed. Blah.

#2 "Santa Claus Is Coming to Town." And this one promotes the false belief that children can be "bad," and that if they are, Santa (who creeps on them night and day) won't bring them any presents. The worst line in this one: "You better not cry." Double blah.

Last, and this one I DO NOT sing. I get mad when it comes on the radio. Guys, I really loathe this song.

#1 "Santa Baby." Some girl with a sexy voice petitions Santa to "hurry down the chimney" and bring her everything under the sun, including a sable, a light blue convertible, a duplex, and the deed to a platinum mine! How utterly materialistic! And the only way she'll be a "very good girl" next year is if he brings her all this stuff. I really might throw up.

There you have it, my favorite movies, concert, TV shows, and books. And my least fave Christmas carols.

Also, if you're looking for Shulamith and me, we are reading books and watching TV all the time. For the rest our lives.

It's fine.


No comments:

Post a Comment