Saturday, March 21, 2020
I saw the word "Paraguay" on my caller ID; I might have panicked a little.
Okay, a lot. I panicked a lot.
It wasn't P-day (Monday). And Seth doesn't have a phone that can call the U.S. He has to use a computer and Google Hangouts. This was a phone call. From Paraguay.
I was sure it was President Hansen calling with some sort of catastrophic news.
Is he hurt? Sick? Dead? Does he have the coronavirus?
All these thoughts circled through my mind in the seven seconds it took me to pick up my phone, swipe right, and in a crackled, anxious voice, whisper, "Hello?"
"Sup, Mom! It's me, Seth!" (As if I wouldn't instantly recognize that perfect voice.)
And there it was. That glorious relief that floods over my body each time the focus of my anxiety turns out not to be real.
Seth is happy, healthy, and safe. The mission gave each companionship international calling cards with 20 minutes of time, so missionaries could call their families and check in. I'm so grateful. I talked to Seth for 10 minutes and then said goodbye, so Elder Rodriguez could use the remaining 10 minutes to call his own family.
Quarantined to their apartment pretty much 24/7, Seth said they are doing just fine. They are allowed to walk to the church and watch church videos, and they have watched A LOT of church videos in the past two days. The quarantine began Thursday morning. Seth and Elder Rodriguez had put on their brand new COLORED shirts, ready to head out for the day. A week earlier, President Hansen had received permission to pilot colored dress shirts in the mission. Elders were given money to buy one colored dress shirt, which they were directed to wear tucked in with their missionary plaque (name tag) and no tie, one day a week on Thursdays. President would then seek feedback on whether the elders felt like they were better received in this slightly more casual dress style than in their traditional white shirts and ties.
So Seth and Elder Rodriguez bought their shirts, Seth's a dark blue with black buttons, and were so excited to wear them on Thursday. But just as they were walking out the door, they got the text directing them to self-quarantine, effective immediately. Dang.
Fortunately, Seth is a kid who has always been able to roll with whatever comes his way. Is it boring in their very small apartment? Of course. But Seth says the apartment is now cleaner than it's ever been, and he's getting really good at chess. He's also learning Portuguese (Elder Rodriguez is from Brazil), getting in lots of good scripture study, and hoping for a time soon when he can put on that dark blue shirt with black buttons and get back out there.
Will that time come? No one knows. Will the Paraguay missionaries be sent home early? I'm sure it's a possibility though Seth hasn't heard anything about that. He really wants to finish his 2-year mission. He told me that. I hope he can, but I also know those in charge are acting under constant guidance and inspiration to keep our kids safe, and the right decisions will prevail.
There is no need to panic. Even if I get a phone call from Paraguay.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment