No matter how you slice it, 2020 has been challenging for everyone. A year ago, I don't think any of us ever dreamed this set of circumstances could occur, and once it did, we surely didn't expect it to go on this long.
The other day when I was kinda at the end of my proverbial rope, I said audibly to myself, "I am so tired of this stupid virus!"
But only a second later, I also thought, "...but not nearly as tired of it as those who have it, or those who have lost loved ones to its deadly grasp."
Indeed, we have been lucky so far, and while it's okay to express frustration for the many missed events and opportunities, it's equally important to acknowledge our good fortune and to remember those who have been afflicted.
All those thoughts and more swirled through my mind yesterday, as part of my family and I participated in a "normal" Halloween activity: We visited a little pumpkin patch. We had been there before at least once, so it felt familiar; it felt "pre-virus." It isn't one of those huge, crowded places. It's just a small farm with a few goats and a couple sheep, pumpkins on the vine on sale for $8, $5, or $3 depending on size, and $1.00 hay rides. Such a bargain, really, and even better, social distancing is no problem because there is hardly anyone there.
We petted the animals (well, some of us did), circled the farm on bails of hay, and each selected our own pumpkin. Seth had to work, so I found the biggest one I could for him to carve. He has missed the last two Halloweens; I think this year's "Seth pumpkin" is gonna be epic!
Eli pushed Shulamith's children in a wheelbarrow.
Shulamith and I showed up dressed identically, something that happens all too frequently, and all you can do is laugh.
We reminisced on the last time we were there, bundled up in big coats, shivering, but yesterday's warm, fall weather was delightful.
COVID-19 is not over, not by a long shot. Cases in Utah continue to rise as many people are complacent and in come cases, in total denial. After the pumpkin patch yesterday, I drove to Bluffdale to meet the contractor who will finish our basement once we close on our new home. While I was there, our head builder happened to walk past. He approached me, not wearing a mask, and once he was about to come too close, I backed away and said, "Sorry, I'm COVID cautious."
"What?" he questioned.
"The virus. I'm cautions about not spreading the virus," I responded, to which he replied,
"What virus?"
We obviously have far to go as we care for others by wearing protective masks and social distancing, and as we pray for those who suffer and for those who work tirelessly to develop a safe vaccine.
But meanwhile, it was sure lovely to take a break from it all,
...and go to a little pumpkin patch,
...and feel normal.




No comments:
Post a Comment