"If you want to know where the Websters live, stand on the corner and wait for the moving truck to come by and follow it." This is a direct quote from a long-time friend of my original family, meant to be humorous with no offense intended, and none was taken. We did move a lot. I've speculated that this might be because my mom missed her true calling as an interior design artist. Which she definitely did. Guys, I'm not even kidding. I grew up in a house, well 21 houses to be exact, all of which looked like they belonged in a Better Homes and Gardens magazine, and her current house still looks like that. So I wonder if once she arranged the furniture in as many different configurations as possible, then decorated perfectly around each new arrangement, she wanted to move, so she could begin the creative process all over? Definitely possible.
I inherited neither her incredible talent for home design, nor her zest for moving. I couldn't decorate my way out of a paper bag, and my house always looks somewhat "vacant?" Also, I hate moving! So much. So I don't do it, unless it's absolutely necessary, like those times we've relocated to an entirely different state.
Until now. We are in the process of moving from our current home in Sandy to a new house in Bluffdale, about 10 miles south. How's it going, you ask? Ugh! I can't think of a single thing I enjoy about this process. It is so hard and overwhelming. I'm taking a break this afternoon to blog; this is for the benefit of my sanity and my family's well-being. But Seth is going with me to take yet another load this evening.
Because our new home is literally "new," there are extra tasks, beyond getting every last item from one house to the other. For example, our beautiful kitchen backsplash needs to be sealed, as does the floor of the garage and the driveway. Amanda, whose skillset never ceases to amaze me, is handling both those projects. Also, I had to meet with a guy to discuss window treatments. Really, though. Picture that in your mind. "Do you prefer the almond cream or the coconut sand?" Honestly, they look exactly the same. "Do you want blackout blinds or filter?" I don't have the slightest idea. "Do you want fabric-covered valances or the modern uncovered look?" Okay, shoot me now!!!
Meanwhile, Shulamith and I make multiple trips back and forth daily, hauling vans full of crap. Why do we have so much stuff? I am the polar opposite of a hoarder, and yet you should see the pile of junk out on the road in front of our house. Fortunately, the city's biannual curbside pickup is this week!
Sorry if I sound like I'm whining. I am. I'm tired of all of it, truth be told, both the physical effort required and the many mental chores like transferring utilities, getting the mailbox key, joining the HOA, buying a water softener, ordering a fence, dealing with contractors who are supposed to be finishing our basement but who are now a full week late in starting, and did I mention those dang window treatments?
However, when life begins to feel impossible, take heart. There is always food. And sometimes it's free. Trust me; nothing tastes better than free food. The universe wrapped its arms around me this past week with two such opportunities. After closing all summer for an extensive remodel, the Chick-fil-A where Seth works had its grand reopening Thursday, and on Tuesday, they gave free meals to employees' families. Then Saturday, Nothing Bundt Cakes opened a new location in Taylorsville and offered customers free confetti bundtlets! So Tuesday, Shulamith, Isaiah, and I got free Chick-fil-A meals (and we didn't even have to dress like cows), and Saturday, I got a yummy bundt cake.
It's been a long process, and we still have tons left to do. I'm exhausted almost all the time, and moving totally sucks, but free food most definitely helps.

No comments:
Post a Comment