Sunday, February 7, 2021

What is this white stuff all over my house???

Warning! This will likely be a whiny post. Sorry. Sometimes you gotta whine. So remember my unfinished basement, the one that was supposed to be finished by Christmas? Yeah, it's still not finished. How close is it, you ask? I'm not even sure. I think all that's left is paint, flooring, and the bathroom, but who really knows? No one from this company communicates. At all. They simply show up and work some days. But not most days. And we never know ahead of time which days. 

The last time I saw them was five days ago, which brings us to the main point of this post. 

Last Tuesday night, I was upstairs teaching my broadcast class. Most of my online classes are fully asynchronous, but this one is a broadcast format, so once a week I have to actually be online, teaching on WebEx, a Zoom-like platform, for 90 minutes. 

I was upstairs for two hours, and when I came down to start dinner, this:



These pictures don't begin to capture the magnitude of this mess. Fine, white powder (dry wall?) covered my house. We could see it in the air and feel it as we breathed. It was on the appliances, on the dining table, on the kitchen countertops, on the cabinets, on the furniture, and all over the floor. I wanted to cry. I didn't, but I wanted to. Instead, I went to work.

The next day, Isaiah commented, "It seems like you've been cleaning for the last 15 hours straight." No, I slept, but otherwise, yes. 

I'm still cleaning. Not as constantly as I was those first couple of days, but I'm still finding powder here and there, and no matter what I do, I can't get it out of all the creases on the laminate flooring. I'm afraid I'm going to need to hire a professional floor cleaner.

I tell my students to show, not tell, their readers, so I won't tell you how I am feeling about all this.

I'm sure you can guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment