Sunday, January 9, 2022

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Gown

It began as a wedding gown. I bought it at a store in Richland, Washington. I tried on many dresses that day, but when I put on this one, it was game over. It was exactly what I was looking for. The downside to wedding dresses is we pay so much money for them, only to wear them just one day. Granted, it's an important day, but still. Regardless, I bought the dress of my dreams and wore it happily on my wedding day. Then I had it professionally cleaned and sealed, just in case a future bride might want to borrow it. 

Twenty-seven years later, one did. Shulamith had the sleeves altered to a more contemporary style, ditched the hat in favor of some white flowers in her hair, and happily wore the gown at her own wedding. Wanting to preserve the now twice-worn wedding gown, we asked my mom use its satin fabric and lace to sew baby blessing outfits. That she did, a little suit for baby boys and an elegant gown for baby girls. 

Shulamith's daughter, Kennedy, was the first to wear the gown, seven years ago on her blessing day. Then, just a week ago, Eli's daughter, Jane, wore it for her blessing. It was a joyous occasion. Eli gave Jane the most beautiful blessing, and Gerald, Seth, and Shulamith's husband Matt all participated. I hosted a light luncheon afterward for a few friends to end a perfect day.

The Sisterhood of the Traveling Gown now has four members:

Terrianne Webster



Shulamith Webster



Kennedy Webster-Monson



Jane Eliza Webster

2 comments:

  1. Lovely, all four of you! I enjoyed very much being present for the first of the four!

    ReplyDelete