Tuesday, December 24, 2024

There's no place like home for the holidays!

"I met a girl who lived in Utah; she was headed for

Portland, Oregon and some Costco pecan pie! (She wanted pie!)"

IT'S ME! I'M THAT GIRL!

Five o'clock a.m. doesn't even feel early when you're headed home for the holidays. It's been years since I've been with my original family at this time of year, so when I landed at PDX early Saturday morning and realized my wish had been granted, I was thrilled. I had ordered four days of rain for the four days I would be there, and just look at the window from my seat on the airplane:


Raindrops. Those are raindrops right there. It rained the better part of all four days, and hardly anything could have made me happier. Except maybe the pecan pie. It is my favorite pie ever (Diana Smith Bennett, are you reading this????), but most people in my Utah family don't like it that much, and the one who does like it can't eat it anymore because of his recent Celiac diagnosis (Sorry, Matt). When I found out they got me a pecan pie, I was seriously stoked; that, combined with beautiful rain---does life get any better?

Tom picked me up at the airport, and we drove to my hotel, where we quickly dropped off my stuff before going to his house. That night was the family Christmas celebration, a giant bash with amaaaaazing food, fun, and festivities. My favorite part was spending time with two of my nieces and their families and meeting Leslie's dog. He is such a nice dog that I had to take his picture:


My hotel had a great gym, so the next morning I was able to work out, which felt amazing after eating way too much food the night before:


Then I picked up my mom, and we met my niece Carley and her cute son for lunch at Olive Garden. So fun to visit and catch up with her. The rest of the day I spent with my mom, first pedicures, then the mall to grab a few final Christmas presents. My friend Lorrie came all the way from Vancouver to meet up with us, and as always, so good to spend time with her. I am lucky to have friends from all four of the "friendship levels": acquaintances, casual friends, close friends, and lifelong friends. Of the five people I would call "lifelong friends," Lorrie is the one I've known the longest. Since I was 13. What a blessing she is in my life!

We went home that night to delicious leftovers from dinner the night before: turkey, ham, mashed potatoes, stuffing and gravy, mac & cheese, garlic-buttered green beans, and of course...more pecan pie! Up till that point, things had gone according to plan. But the next morning, a twist of mortality occurred. 

Both my brother and my mom woke up with the flu!

Eeeeek! I always say that I have a steel immune system because I so rarely get sick, and I'm praying it's true. I have much to do for both tomorrow and our family's Christmas celebration Dec. 28-29. It wouldn't be at all convenient for me to be sick.

At the moment, I feel great! I'm sitting in the Portland airport, eating Chex mix and drinking Diet Coke, early for my 6:30 p.m. flight home. I decided I may as well limit my exposure to the "sickos" and come hang out here. Now if only I could walk; my abysmal daily step count is registering a measly 2,824 steps. But with a suitcase packed with presents and my mom's famous Chex mix, along with a carry-on, purse, and heavy coat, I really can't. Instead, I'll just listen to my latest audio book - my first Stephen King novel: 11/22/63. It's SO good!

Even though it didn't end quite the way we hoped, it was a good trip, and I'm glad I came. It will be July before I return and see everyone again. 

"Oh, there's no place like home for the holidays
'Cause no matter how far away you roam
If you want to be happy in a million ways
For the holidays, you can't beat home, sweet home."

No comments:

Post a Comment