Today was a day off from school. It was other things as well, but because we didn't have to work, Shulamith and I took her kids out to lunch. As we left Cafe Rio, a kind, older lady stopped me. "I like your shirt," she remarked. "It's been a tough day. Stay strong out there." I waved at her and smiled. A kindred soul.
Had I been at school today, I would have worn all black to demonstrate my protest and resistance of the new administration. But since I was not in class, I wore my Harris-Walz, 2024 hoodie. It just seemed right. Had I not, it's likely I wouldn't have met, and connected ever so briefly, with this sweet lady at Cafe Rio.
Yes, I watched the entire inauguration ceremony this morning. I wanted to have a firsthand account, not retold by others (even others I respect) and not clips chosen by the media. I wanted to see for myself.
I saw.
It was even more vile than I imagined. The inaugural address was one that only a narcissist could have delivered. Not even a nod to President Biden, thanking him for five decades of service to our country. I watched as the felon, the rapist, one by one, promised to shred every good and worthy accomplishment President Biden had in his four years in office. I watched as he vowed to inflict pain on the immigrant, the poor, and our LGBTQ+ friends and family. Throughout, President Biden and Vice President Harris sat stoically, their hands folded, their faces somber, ensuring a peaceful, gracious transfer of power and demonstrating their commitment to democracy and to our Constitution. Thank you, President Biden and Vice President Harris for showing us what mature leadership looks like....and well, for simply showing up!
What do we do from here? I've thought a lot about what it means to resist. What can I do as just one woman to resist this tyranny? What can I do so that years from now, when a young person studies history and asks me what I did to resist this evil, I can answer with honor just as Tim Walz did during their heroic campaign: "Every damn thing I could."
I will continue to consider what the steps of resistance look like in my life, but for now, this is what I've got.
I will resist by being everything he isn't: kind, brave, smart, empathetic, caring, faithful, and loving.
Maybe that means speaking out when my values are challenged and not shrinking into compliance for the sake of popularity.
Maybe it means defending the defenseless, protecting the vulnerable, and being more intentional in my efforts to welcome the marginalized.
Maybe it means smiling at a lady in Cafe Rio, so she knows she is seen.
Maybe it means offering a meal or some money to a homeless person.
Maybe it means pausing to allow another car to go ahead of me in heavy traffic.
Maybe it means shopping responsibly and not patronizing businesses that donated to the felon's campaign. I can choose Target and Costco over Walmart, Lowe's over Home Depot, Michael's over Hobby Lobby, and Raising Canes over Chick-fil-A.
Maybe it means holding fast to my faith, while extending grace and acceptance to others whose faith looks different from mine.
Maybe it means being clear and open as a safe space for any LGBTQ+ youth who need acceptance.
Maybe it means donating my time and money to elect progressive candidates in the midterm elections two years from now.
Maybe it means refusing to remain complacent and accepting of what is about to happen.
Maybe it means hugging my five children tight and expressing how very sorry I am that this happened in their lifetime.
Today in our home, we celebrated Martin Luther King, Jr. We did not celebrate our country. Because in our home, we do not celebrate rapists. We will not celebrate this rapist.
Instead, we will resist, by being everything he isn't.

No comments:
Post a Comment