167. Theodore has become obsessed with plants. He has dozens of them in his room on a stand, under grow lights, everywhere!
Theodore: I'm growing basil!
Shulamith: Basil! I love basil! Can I use some when I make spaghetti?
Theodore: Yeah, but you'll have to wait for it to be an adult.
168. Theodore loves plants more than anything and he happened to have a little money, so he of course wanted to go to the plant store. It was closed, so he settled for Smith's, where they have a few plants in their florist section. He picked out a little plant (I don't remember what kind) and noticed its soil was very dry. After we paid and were walking out, he explained...
Theodore: I'm going to water this little plant right away and put it under my lights. I will give this plant a much better home than it had at Smith's where they don't even water it.
169. Theodore joined a 4H gardening group, and yesterday was his first meeting. He was giddy with excitement.
Shulamith: There will be lots of big kids there, because this is for kids ages 8 all the way through high school. Is that okay?
Theodore: I will be the best one there!
170. Last Friday night, Shulamith was headed to Swen's friend's house to take Swen needed items so he could spend the night there, and Matt was headed to pick up Kennedy from a "late-night" with one of her friends.
Shulamith (to Theodore): Do you want to go with Dad to pick up Kennedy, or with Mom to take stuff to Swen?
Theodore: I want be with Theodore here in my house.
Shulamith: Well, I know you'd rather stay home, but it's 10:00 p.m. and dark outside, so maybe you want to come with one of us?
Theodore: Oh yeah. I'm scared. I'll go with you.
171. Theodore's love for plants hasn't subsided, but his energy for taking care of the dozens of plants he now owns might have.
Shulamith: Why aren't you taking care of all these plants, Theodore?
Theodore: I just got lazy.
172. The week before school starts is especially challenging for teacher moms like Shulamith. Teachers are under contract for a week before the kids come, and their own kids are still at home. Fortunately, Shulamith teaches halftime, so she only had to be at school in the morning, but still it was hard for her kids, especially Theodore, who is only 9.
Shulamith (to Theodore): I'll be gone again tomorrow morning, so Her will come hang out with you. I'm sorry I've had to leave you so much this week.
Theodore: That's okay. Dad leaves us for much, much longer every day.
[Oh Theodore! You are gonna change the world, Little Dude.]

No comments:
Post a Comment