I remember hearing parents talk about how difficult it was to get all their children together in the same place at the same time. Back then, when it seemed that I constantly had four little kids under my feet, none of this talk made much sense. The days were long and the nights were short, and I wondered if I'd have the energy to do all that was required of me. A few years later, I was alone with the kids at church, sitting in front of an older sister. Seth was newborn, and I was tending to his needs while trying to keep Isaiah and Eli from killing each other. Shulamith was seated on the stand because she was giving a talk (which I desperately wanted to hear), and Luke was up front passing the Sacrament. I was pulling my hair out, okay not literally, but almost! The older sister seated behind me tapped me on the shoulder and said, "Honey, be sure to enjoy every moment because it truly doesn't get any better than this." Seriously???
Years later, I am beginning to understand those parents who lamented the difficulty of pulling all their children together. These past three days, Shulamith has been here in Billings, so we actually have all seven of us under the same roof. Just not at the same time. Since Shulamith arrived Friday evening, there has not been one moment between the hours of 5:30 a.m. and 12:00 midnight that we all have been at home. This is mostly due to random work schedules. Isaiah begins work at 6:00 a.m. Eli begins work at noon. Luke begins work at 3:00 p.m. Help! I just want all seven of us here for one meal. Just one meal. Is that really too much to ask? Perhaps this time it is.
Instead, we are enjoying each other's company in small groups, sort of like in shifts. And that's good too. Very good. And there's always Thanksgiving when, heaven willing, we'll all be together for dinner.
As for the sweet sister who lovingly told me the chaos of two teenagers, two young children, and a newborn baby is as good as life gets, well I hope she was mistaken. I hope instead that each stage of life is the best. I know this is true of raising children. It seems like every stage of their lives is the best stage. Today, I thoroughly enjoy my two adult children, their insights, their personalities, their opinions (even when they differ slightly from mine). And my two teenagers are more fun than you can even imagine. And Seth? What could be better than experiencing the world through the curious eyes of a nine-year-old, as he struggles to make sense of life and all its complications? Ironically, I just asked him if he could possibly be quiet for five minutes so I could finish this blog entry. He couldn't. I'm pretty sure it is physiologically impossible for him to be quiet that long unless he's asleep.
Togetherness. Family. Love. A bit of Heaven here on Earth.
P.S. As a disclaimer, I should point out that as Isaiah read this entry over my shoulder, he was adamant that I have THREE, not two, adult children. He is 18. Okay, Isaiah, technically three.
LOL re: Isaiah! Yes, he is an adult! :-)
ReplyDelete