Summer is over. Well, maybe not officially, but as far as we're concerned, once school begins, it's all over. Once again, six of the seven of us return to the academic life in one way or another. Let's take us one by one as we mark the beginning of the 2009-2010 academic year.
We'll start with the baby. He would have a fit and fall in it if he knew I wrote that, but as far as I know, he doesn't read this blog. And well, like it or not, he will always be my "baby." Seth began 4th grade last Tuesday, so just over a week ago. As I mentioned in an earlier entry, he's no longer in the primary wing, but instead he's rubbing shoulders with all those big 5th and 6th graders in the intermediate side of the building. After a week, Seth reports a good start to the year. He likes his teacher. I haven't met her yet, but she's already exchanged email with parents who provided their addresses, and she sent me a nice note saying Seth is off to a great start. His class uses a money system of reward. Students start off with $300, and they may earn money doing various things and then spend it as needed. Among other things, they must rent their desks. Seth was anxious for me to sign all his parent forms because he received $50 for each one I signed by the deadline. Am I crazy about a system that motivates children exclusively through extrinsic rewards? No. Would I prefer Seth to learn to do what he needs to do simply because it's important to meet our responsibilities, and we feel good when we do? Yes. Am I terribly worried about this? No. Seth seems happy, so I'm happy. In fact, these days, he's happier at school than he is at home. He's really missing his three siblings who are away (as am I), and the one who is home, is so involved in work, school, church, and an active social life, he is hardly ever around.
Speaking of Eli, he began his junior year in high school a week ago today. He's taking the required subjects, as well as Spanish, advanced choir, cooking, and P.E. as electives. Classes are good so far, he says. Early-morning seminary also started this week. His teacher is great, and he has a good group of friends who attend, but no matter how you slice it, 6:30 a.m. is just plain early. We're proud of him for making the effort to attend.
Isaiah, the graduate, has joined the "Let's all just move to Utah" contingency. He's a freshman at Westminster College, where Shulamith graduated a year ago. Everything we hear from him thus far is positive. He likes his roommate and the other people he's met, he likes his classes, he likes his job as a dorm monitor, and he likes Salt Lake City. Oh no, will I have a second child whom I can't get out of the state of Utah? We really may need to move there ourselves eventually. In the meantime, we're glad he's doing so well. It's a huge transition from high school to college, especially if you move away from home.
Shulamith tested children all last week and had her first day with her new kindergarten class yesterday. And it was good! You can't even know how great that was to hear. Last year, she spent her entire first day chasing one little boy out the front door because he decided to run away several times, and when she wasn't doing that, she was focused on trying to get one little girl to sit in a desk rather than jump around on the floor, pretending to be a horse. Yesterday was so much better. She says all 30 (!) kids (no I'm not kidding about that enrollment) are adorable and well behaved for the most part. Hooray! I can't wait to meet them next time I'm there.
Our psychologist to-be began his PhD program at Indiana University this week. He, too, reports a good start to the school year. He is learning so much already. I am amazed whenever I talk to him by how much he is learning, and it's all really interesting. I think Luke chose exactly the right field of study to suit his interests and abilities.
And I am back at MSU-Billings teaching five writing classes. We don't actually get students for another week, but I've been there periodically this week working on syllabi and planning. I should clarify my statement above: I'm teaching five FULL writing classes. Our enrollment is so high this semester that all my sections are full. So if you have any ideas how I might successfully navigate my way through 125 essays 6 - 8 times in the semester, I'm open to any and all suggestions. Wait. I take that back. No, Isaiah, I can't just "not give them any assignments."
So there you have it, our family's return to academia for the 2009-2010 year.
No comments:
Post a Comment