When young children are first learning to talk, most parents start with the obvious: "Can you say Mom-my?" or "Can you say Dad-dy?" However, when Shulamith was born, I jumped straight to the important stuff.
"Can you say Shop-ping?"
She was a fast learner indeed. Together, we have been shopping through life ever since. The entire Christmas season is positively glorious for an avid shopper like me; I have the perfect excuse to shop for everyone I love all at the same time. One of our most favorite shopping days is Black Friday, the day following Thanksgiving. Generally, I don't begin serious Christmas shopping until Black Friday, which is more than just a shopping day for Shulamith and me; it is an event. We get up at the crack of dawn (amazing for two people who like to sleep in as much as we do, but worth it this one day each year) and head out, stopping at Starbuck's first for hot chocolate and pastries. Then, coupons in hand, energized by the excitement, we hit the stores with a systematic plan to accomplish all we've set out to do. We stop only for good food (Cinnabon is a must!), and we go till we're entirely worn out, usually mid-to-late afternoon. At that point we go home for long, luxurious naps and then get up and eat Thanksgiving leftovers before heading out to an evening movie. Now you tell me...how could a day get any better?
This year, however, will be slightly different. Gerald, Eli, Seth, and I are driving to Salt Lake City for Thanksgiving weekend, so we won't be here in Billings on Black Friday. Yes, there are many more shopping options in SLC, which is wonderful. The only problem is that the State of Utah has this unfortunate little annoyance called sales tax. As a native Oregonian and a current Montana resident, I don't much enjoy paying sales tax. If the bargain is really really good, I'll do it, like last summer when were shopping in Park City, and I got four pairs of super nice pants at Gap, all for under $32. That was a good enough sale to warrant paying the tax. Or if there's something really lovely that I can't find in Billings (Hello, Nordstrom!), then I'll break down and pay. Usually, though, I'll wait until I'm back home where I can shop tax free.
Knowing we'd be in Utah this year on Black Friday, I decided to start shopping early right here in Billings, and I have made substantial progress. I can't be certain without adding everything up on the lists in my phone, but I'd be willing to bet that I'm about half done. Half done on November 12!? What's more, everything I've purchased is already wrapped and ready to go under the tree, which we will set up just before we leave for Utah. Ah, ah, ah, how I love Christmas! Black Friday will still be amazing; I have no doubt. I will help Shulamith with her shopping, while keeping my eyes peeled for that incredible deal that makes paying sales tax worth it.
So enjoy the start of this beautiful season, of which shopping for gifts is only one small part. Keep in mind the reason we shop for, give, and receive gifts at this time: the perfect, selfless gift that was given to all of us so long ago.
haha I love it that you taught that to Shulamith. That is mothering in the true Terrianne style. haha You're great. :)
ReplyDeleteMay I hire you to do my shopping? I always put it off for too long.
ReplyDelete--Jared Le Fevre
I'd love to do your shopping, Jared. Make a list of the things Kim likes, and I'm totally on it.
ReplyDelete