Monday, November 8, 2010

Back on the P90X Wagon: Fighting the Fear

In March of 2009, so going on two years ago, Lindsey, Shulamith, and I bought a work-out program called P90X, which involves a series of daily routines on DVDs. I have written about this previously both here and here; however, the last time I wrote about it was in May of 2009, so I figured it was time for another update. After the first 90 days, the maintenance plan involves doing the routines just 3 - 4 times a week rather than daily. I completed the first 90 days faithfully (only missing a day or two in the entire three months) and then began the maintenance plan which progressed fairly well. By the start of 2010, I had the added motivation of Shulamith's upcoming wedding to keep me dedicated. By spring, we were planning our Costa Rica trip, and the thought of wearing a bathing suit every day was, again, plenty of motivation to keep me on the P90X wagon. That was this past August.

Then we came home.

And for some reason, I just didn't get started again. I don't know why. I really have no idea. What I do know is that as the days passed, then weeks, then two whole months (!), it became progressively harder to put in a DVD and push "play." I would stare at my pile of disks sitting on my nightstand and think to myself, "I have got to get going on this." But I wouldn't do it. I made all sorts of plans and promises to myself, but nothing worked. Days went by. And weeks. And two months. My frustration increased, and so did my fear. It became a psychological block and not a fun one.

But what was I so afraid of?

Did I think I wouldn't be able to do it this time? It's hard. Did I think it would hurt too much? It does. I don't know. I only know that for several weeks, I stared at those DVDs, knowing what I had to do, but not doing it. Yes, I still walked my regular 4 miles nearly every day. Yes, I still stuck (or mostly stuck) to my eating plan. And, no, I haven't gained any weight (thank goodness!). Still, I need P90X for strength training and for cardio, and also because when I'm doing it, I can eat a whole lot more of the foods I like without gaining weight. Win, win, win!

What changed? Let me tell you about it. Last Tuesday was a lovely day, pure and simple. Do you ever have really good days like that? When everything feels right? When troubles seem far away? When you know deep down inside that life is good, very very good? Well, that's how last Tuesday was for me. Classes at MSUB were canceled for election day, so I had the entire day off. I got up and walked my 4 miles first thing, so that was done. Endorphins flowing, I had energy to help Gerald shampoo the carpets throughout our house. Oh, what a difference that makes! Then I took a glorious nap. Mmmm! Before he left for work, Gerald went to the store and bought some tape, so I could spend the rest of the afternoon wrapping Christmas presents. Now you should know there is hardly anything I'd rather do than wrap Christmas presents, hardly anything at all. I put on Josh Groban's Christmas CD and wrapped for about an hour. Seth came home, and we went out for fast food. Could this day get any better?

Maybe it could have, but it didn't. At 6:00 p.m. as polls closed on the east coast, election returns began to filter in. My lovely day began to seriously deteriorate. By 8:00 p.m. as I watched the CNN map bleed a nasty red across our dear nation, I decided anything would be better than enduring any more of that.

Even P90X!

I turned off my TV, carried my computer downstairs, changed into my workout clothes, and put in the Core Synergistics DVD. And I did it. Was it hard? Very. Did it hurt? Lots. But I finished it, the entire hour, all the way through the squat run, the steam engine, the Dreya roll, and the superman/banana. My plan is to do P90X three times a week, and so far this week, I have succeeded. Thursday I did shoulders & arms, and yesterday I did Cardio.

Thanks to some very scary election returns, I'm officially back on the P90X wagon; yes I am!

No comments:

Post a Comment