I dearly love the Christmas season. The words from the familiar carol "It's the most wonderful time of the year" don't begin to express how I feel about it. I love every part of Christmas, and I am not alone. Something about this season brings out the best in folks. We smile more. We think of our neighbors instead of ourselves. We cut each other a little more slack. We're more tolerant. We're kinder.
Those of us who are Christians attribute this to our feelings about the Savior and our desire to celebrate His miraculous birth. But even those with no religious faith are affected by this magical time of year. My father, for example, was not religious. I don't even know if he believed in God. He might have, but I can't be sure. He had no use whatsoever for organized religion. However, he was a good man, a good man who became better at Christmas. I have fond memories of shopping with him for gifts for my mom when I was a little girl. We would pass by the Salvation Army bell ringers, and he would always donate whatever spare cash he had. "Why do you give them your money," I asked. He told me about the good work of the folks at the Salvation Army. He said when he and his co-workers were fighting fires in the middle of cold winter nights, Salvation Army workers would be there with hot coffee and sandwiches for the fire fighters. "Never pass by one of those bell ringers without donating," he instructed me. And I don't. To this day, I can't walk by a Salvation Army bell ringer without digging for all the change in my purse.
Historians tell us that the Savior was likely born in the spring. Nevertheless, we unite with Christians worldwide to celebrate his birth in the deepest, darkest month of December; at least in this hemisphere it's deep and dark, and that is my only reference point. I find much symbolism connected to this time of year. With short days, long nights, and freezing temperatures, what causes us to rejoice with such gladness in this season? Certainly not the weather in Billings, Montana! I haven't been warm since October. And no, I don't enjoy slipping around on frozen roads every time I try to walk or drive anywhere. Yet, we celebrate.
Out of the darkness, comes the light. Out of the cold, comes the warmth. Out of the pain and suffering, comes the one "Risen with healing in His wings."
Rejoice in this unique time of year. Smile an extra smile. Pardon the driver who cuts you off in traffic. Give one more hug to your children as they head off to school. Drop some change in the Salvation Army bell ringer's kettle. Love fully.
"Hark now hear the angels sing
A new king born today.
And we will live forever more
Because of Christmas Day."
No comments:
Post a Comment