Once upon a time, a couple lived in the daylight basement apartment of the wife's parents' home. It was a lovely arrangement in every way. The husband was a full time student and also worked hard at a restaurant, so his life was extremely busy. One day, his wife was feeding their 9-month-old baby, preparing to go "mall walking" with her mom because the February snow prevented them from walking outside. The husband, who had lots of homework, said, "I'm going to wait to do my homework until you and Baby leave, so it will be quiet and I won't be distracted." The wife thought this was an excellent idea.
When it came time for her to leave, the wife said, "Okay, we're leaving. You're going to do your homework, right?"
"Right!" said the husband.
Her mom, upstairs also preparing to leave, questioned her 12-year-old son (the wife's little brother): "You're going to practice the piano while I'm gone, right?"
"Right!" said the son.
As the wife, her baby, and her mom loaded into the car, the wife remembered that she left her phone in the house. "I'd better go get it," she said, "just in case my husband needs me for something."
She ran back into the house and quickly went downstairs to find her phone. "I'm just here getting my phone," she explained, thinking her husband would be there studying. He wasn't. "Is he in the bathroom?" she wondered. Nope. Not there either. Hmmm.
Baffled, she headed back upstairs, where she found her little brother lying on the couch, attempting to act all nonchalant but not really succeeding and certainly not practicing the piano. Still confused, she looked around. It took a beat or two, but finally saw it---a still, human form hidden under a blanket in the rocking chair, covered head to toe.
"Really?" she said. "Really???"
Busted, the husband poked his head out from under the blanket with a sheepish smile.
And the husband, along with the little brother, lived happily ever after playing video-games and avoiding homework and the piano.
I thought I posted a comment last night but I cannot see it here so here I go again. Pretty sneaky guys!
ReplyDeleteThey sure are. Sheesh!
Delete