Sunday, June 9, 2013

Black Bean Salsa

I almost never put recipes on this blog. This is my 345th post, and I think I've put a recipe here one time? Why don't I post recipes? Well, for one thing, it's not a cooking blog. More importantly, I'm a terrible cook, so why would I share my recipes so you too can make crappy food for your families? I like you. I wouldn't do that. However, I have discovered a recipe so delicious that I would almost feel guilty if I didn't share it. I am not kidding. This is without question the best thing I've ever made. Okay, okay, so that's not saying much. But seriously, if you like chunky salsa, you should try this. I'm so addicted to this stuff that I make a batch, and once it's gone, I have to make another one that day. It's THAT good.

I got the recipe from a friend's blog, and I will post it exactly the way she did. When I make it, though, I omit the olive oil. Why add fat (even good fat) to an otherwise low fat, low calorie recipe?


Black Bean Salsa (aka best food ever!)

1 15-oz can black beans, drained and rinsed
3 Roma tomatoes, chopped
1/2 C. chopped green onions
1 jalapeno, minced
1 avocado, chopped
Handful of cilantro, finely chopped
1/8 tsp. cumin
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lime, squeezed for juice
2 tsp. olive oil
Black pepper - to taste

Mix all this together, and serve with tortilla chips (the baked kind, if you want to keep it healthy!). As Shulamith's baby Swen would say: "Mmmmmmm." That is his first and only word so far. He LOVES to eat and always expresses his appreciation for food with "Mmmmmmmm."

1 comment:

  1. I agree on omitting the oil. I cannot see why it would be needed.

    ReplyDelete