This afternoon Gerald and Shulamith and I attended our fifth Hale Center Theatre play of the season, the musical "Tarzan." Simply put, it was excellent. As always, the production was spot on in every area: acting, singing, choreography, set design, costume and makeup--all top notch professional. I had never seen the play. I didn't know the story of Tarzan, other than that he was a boy raised in the jungle by apes. I had no idea what to expect, yet I was captivated from start to finish.
Most especially, I was moved by the ape mother and her unyielding devotion to the boy Tarzan, so much so that I found myself weeping several times including when she sang the reprise of "You'll Be In My Heart" as she anticipated her "son" leaving her to join the human world. Okay, yes, I'm a wimp mom, a point we've already established many times. It's fine.
While her character caused me to think about all my children to some extent, I was particularly focused on Isaiah. Why, you may ask. Probably a combination of things. For one, he's been talking about possibly moving out this year, finding a house to share with some roommates. This is not a bad idea. It isn't. After a couple years in the dorms at Westminster, last year he moved home with us, but yeah, I don't blame him for wanting a bit more independence this final year of school. It makes sense. But you see, I like having him here. I like hearing about his adventures at school. I like laughing about all the restaurant drama at Macaroni Grill. I like hearing him sing. I like the way he interacts with Seth and Swen. Essentially, I like him.
And I'm proud of him. Really proud. Can I brag just a little? This past summer Isaiah set two goals: (1) to learn Spanish and (2) to become more physically fit, fairly lofty goals, but he followed through like no other. He found a free program on the computer and taught himself enough Spanish that he qualified to take the 2nd year course this fall at Westminster. Impressive! And he developed an exercise plan that he followed religiously every day. I often came home to find him lifting weights or doing push ups, crunches, or squats. All this has resulted in some weight gain (very good for Isaiah!) all muscle, obviously. He looks great.
He would not want me to write this post. He does not like to be the center of attention. He is the classic middle child, happy to slide by under the radar, requiring very little, and never making much noise. So hopefully he won't see this? If he does, hopefully he won't be mad?
But Zay...here's the thing:
You'll be in my heart
Yes, you'll be in my heart
From this day on
Now and forever more
You'll be in my heart
No matter what they say
You'll be here in my heart,
Yes, you'll be in my heart
From this day on
Now and forever more
You'll be in my heart
No matter what they say
You'll be here in my heart,
always.

No comments:
Post a Comment