Thursday, May 15, 2014

Parenting Advice From My 13-year-old



Here's a picture of my sweet Seth dressed and ready to go to the temple this evening with the youth in our ward. Is he adorable or what?

Before we left to drive him to the church, he offered me some valuable parenting advice that I thought I would share with all of you. Keep in mind that Seth is 13. He is not married. He has no children. I am over 13. I am married. I have five children. Just sayin'.

He was supposed to be at the church at 5:00, and at 4:45, he was still sprawled across the couch wearing jeans and a t-shirt, plugged into his phone. So I said, "Seth, go brush your teeth and change your clothes." Seems reasonable, no?

But I guess there is a better way. A more perfect way. And Seth was quick to explain the error of my ways and demonstrate how I might do better. Thank you so much, Seth.
  
Why can't you be more like Eli? He would say something like, "Seth, so have you had a chance to brush your teeth yet?" And if I said no, he would say, "Hey man, do you think you'd be able to do that for me now? Because I'd really appreciate it."

And this is better because???? So he continued to explain:

It's the same with practicing the piano. You always say, "Seth, go brush your teeth and then practice the piano." But Eli says, "Dude, have you played some sweet tunes on that piano yet today? And when I say no, he says, "Do you think you could maybe go practice for me right now? Because I would love it if you would."

Once again, this is better because???? So he continued to explain:

The way you say it just makes me sad. Like all you care about is my teeth and the piano. But the way Eli says it makes me feel like it's my own choice what I do. And like he really appreciates me. It makes me feel better about the whole thing.

Hmmmm. Okay, then. May I point out that Eli is 21. Not married. No children (though I expect he will make an excellent father one day).

So yeah, there you have it, parenting advice from my 13-year-old. I sure love him!


No comments:

Post a Comment