....she eats it. And then she eats another one, and then another. And then she gives some to her husband and son. 'Til soon all the muffin batter you made is gone, and you need to make more.
Which is what happened yesterday.
Back story, I make muffin batter for Shulamith. Lots of it. Years ago, Gerald's mom gave us the recipe for the very best bran muffin in the world. I'm not kidding. It really is. As you know, most stuff I cook isn't good. Some of my family members eat what I cook just to be nice (this would be Gerald and Eli); others pretty much refuse to eat anything I cook (this would be Isaiah and Seth). Nevertheless, my bran muffins are spectacular. They are so delicious, and pretty much everyone thinks so.
This experience is foreign to me, to have people genuinely like something I cook, even like it enough to ask me to make it again. And again. And again. I have to admit; it's gratifying. That's what happened with these muffins. One wonderful thing about them is the batter stays good for 30 days in the fridge. So you can make up a batch and then bake them one, or two, or a dozen at a time, whenever you like.
So a while back I made a batch of batter for Shulamith. I doubled the recipe, so it filled the largest size Tupperware bowl, and I thought for sure it would last a month. I was wrong. Apparently, when they eat them, Matt eats four muffins, Shulamith eats two, and Swen eats one. If they eat them every day, that's 49 muffins a week! Haha, I don't think they really eat them every single day, but the double batch was gone in about two weeks. So I made more. And more!
Would you like the recipe for these delicious muffins? I can't think why you wouldn't.
Best Bran Muffins in the World
1 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C oil
2 eggs
2 C. buttermilk
2 1/2 C flour
2 1/2 tsp. soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 C. Kellogg's All Bran cereal
Mix up all this stuff in a large bowl. Then....
1 C. bran flakes cereal (any type)
1 C. boiling water
Combine and add last. Mix it all up.
Spray muffin pan (because these don't work so well with liners). Pour batter into muffin pan. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Yum!
So back to yesterday. I knew Shulamith was out of muffin batter, and I knew that on Monday my last set of essays would come pouring in because my semester ends in two weeks (W00T!), so I decided first thing I would make a double batch of batter. I checked to see what ingredients I already had and what I would need to buy. I glanced in the fridge to make sure I had four eggs (yep, exactly four!), and then I left for the store to get All Bran cereal and buttermilk.
Home again, I began by measuring the sugar and oil into the bowl. Then I went to the fridge to get the eggs, but to my great surprise: no eggs! What? I just checked 20 minutes ago. Or did I? Yes, I did. I asked Gerald, who had been sitting right there at his computer the whole time I was gone, if he had any idea where my eggs went, but he didn't. I texted Shulamith. Mystery solved. She had come up to get the eggs so Matt could cook breakfast. So back to the store I went, right away, because I don't really "get" cooking, so I didn't know how long you can leave sugar and oil just sitting in a bowl.
The end result is a brand new double batch of muffin batter now sits downstairs in the Webster-Monsons' fridge. Which is perfect, because if you give a girl a muffin, she eats it. And then she eats another one, and then another.
No comments:
Post a Comment