- I have been a mother for over 20 years, yet I am still a
beginner. I have years of experience, but I am ever figuring it out.
I have five children, though I am far from an expert. Motherhood is
the greatest work I will ever do but also the hardest. Its joy is
unparalleled and its frustration unmatched. Oftentimes, the more I
learn, the more inadequate I feel. My own humanness gets in the way.
My own character flaws prevent me from being the mom I want to be.
Nevertheless, God has blessed me with five incredible human beings, lent to me for a mere twinkle in time, to nurture, teach, influence, and love. I will press forward in this monumental task. I am a beginner mom, but I will not give up.
I will not give up on me. Each day is new and fresh with opportunity to improve. I am trying to be more patient, more present, and more peaceful. Patience is not one of my strengths, but honestly, is waiting that extra few seconds for my self-conscious teenager to take one last look at his hair really going to make any difference? But if I put down my phone and shut my laptop and truly listen to what he has to say, that could make a difference. Moreover, I'm guessing that my effort to be more patient and more present will just naturally result in more peace.
I will not give up on my children. They won't always do exactly what I want them to do. It's a hard fact to face because we moms really think we know best, and more often than not, we do, but our children must be allowed to choose for themselves. Without the opportunity to choose, they cannot grow. We must let go of the control. It's tough; I am well aware. But we are their biggest fans, their most loyal advocates, and so long as they know where they can always turn for help, we have done our jobs.
I will not give up on the world. We live in troubled and tumultuous times; few will argue that. Still, I see so much that is good. The world I have helped to create and the one I will leave for my children is full of grace. I see it everywhere. I see helpful people serving those in need. I see families of all different kinds, shapes, and sizes where love abounds. I see dedicated educators teaching my children day after day, with caring hearts and for way too little pay. I see heroes sacrificing everything they have for the betterment of society. There are bad guys, yes, but there are more good guys. And I'm confident that in the end, good will triumph.
Being a mom is my favorite. I believe it was my destiny, and there is nothing that matters more. But even with over 20 years in the “field,” I am still a beginner. I am a beginner mom who will not give up.
No comments:
Post a Comment