At 2:30 a.m. I awoke to noise coming from the bathroom. Was it water running? In a state of confused semi-consciousness, I got up to investigate and found that, indeed, someone was in the bathroom showering. By process of elimination, it would have to be Seth. I knocked and shouted, “Are you okay?” Affirmative. “What are you doing in there?” Taking a shower. “Do you realize it's 2:30 a.m.?” Somehow, he thought it was 6:30 already, and he was supposed to be up getting ready for school.
First day jitters. On the surface, he was all meh about it yesterday when I asked him if he was nervous for the first day of his sophomore year. “What would I be nervous about?” Obviously, though, there were some subconscious jitters going on, enough that he woke up and hopped in the shower at 2:30 a.m. I remember my older kids doing this same thing a couple of times the night before important events. Whether we are headed to kindergarten or our senior year of college, there is just something about that first day of school that elicits an emotional response in all of us.
That includes us moms waiting not so patiently at home. It's now 2:15 p.m., and I've been thinking about him all day. Will he like his classes? Will he find his friends in that giant school? Will his teachers be nice? I'm just about to go pick him up, and the excitement is waxing strong. I'll take him for an after-the-first-day snack and listen to a play-by-play report of his day.
Hopefully tonight the jitters will be gone, and he'll sleep peacefully, with no 2:30 a.m. showers.
No comments:
Post a Comment