Monday, September 28, 2015

I should probably just give up and write a check

Like many people, I have a love/hate relationship with technology. I celebrate all the advances; really I do. Honestly, I'm not sure how we ever functioned without the Internet or how I ever taught writing without a computerized classroom. I have only vague memories of using the Readers' Guide to Periodical Literature to  research college essays. How utterly laborious that must have been! And then typing those essays on an electric typewriter, praying fervently not to make an error because correcting was so tedious. It's amazing how something so simple as basic word processing has evolved.

So yeah, I'm grateful. I'm grateful. I'm grateful! True story.

But wonderful as it is, oh how I struggle with technology. For me, the learning curve is steep, and it seems like as soon as I figure something out, that "something" changes. Can they leave well enough alone, already?

Case in point: Comcast. Last week, I was on the phone with a rep, getting my bill corrected, and she informed me that we had "old equipment." She would immediately ship me all new stuff, which I should have within three days. Okay, whatever. The new stuff did, indeed, arrive, but now I have no idea how to use my TV remote control. It's completely different from the old setup, and even worse, we seem to be missing some channels we really want.

And then there's this. Our church recently made it possible to pay tithing online, really excellent news. No more filling out forms by hand and writing checks. No more searching the building to find the bishop. No more waiting for the check to clear your account. "This will change my life," I thought.

Until I tried to do it.

I logged on to  my church account. First they asked me to indicte what country I'm from. Then they told me I live in a country that does not accept online donations. Really? Because I'm pretty sure the U.S. would be one of the very first countries to accept them. Then I entered my membership number and some other information, and I was informed that my record does not exist. There is no one with that number and birth date. Great! Now I live in the wrong country AND I do not exist.

I should probably just give up and write a check. But I was determined.

Finally, after spending nearly an hour on this with zero success, I decided to try a different route. I logged on under Gerald's name and membership number. It worked flawlessly. I will just pay our tithing using his account because technology kind of hates me. And I hate it back. At least sometimes.

No comments:

Post a Comment