I just read an article entitled “Five things I will never again do for my kids.” This author mom was reflecting back to past parenting “mistakes,” and vowing never to repeat them. As I read the article, it became clear that while none of the things she discussed was an absolute deal breaker for me one way or the other, I most definitely did (and still do) some of the things she mentioned. And I have no regrets.
This mom said she would never again cook different meals for her children just to satisfy the picky eaters in her home. I do this all the time, and I won't apologize. No, I don't prepare elaborate, gourmet meals for anyone (I'm a terrible cook!), but I do consider my kids' individual tastes, and if one of them doesn't like what I'm making, I'm happy to make him a quick, easy substitute, perhaps a peanut butter sandwich or scrambled eggs. I don't think this practice has turned my kids into spoiled, entitled creatures who won't eat anything. Not at all.
She also said she would never again clean her kids' rooms or do their laundry (once they were old enough to do these things themselves). Hmmm. Well, I think it's great to teach kids age-appropriate independence by letting them assume responsibility for their rooms and laundry.
That said, many times my teens have been swamped with homework, part time jobs, and extracurricular activities, so to help them out, I've done a thorough sweep of their rooms, vacuumed, and done a couple loads of their laundry. I remember one time after I did this, my teenage daughter arrived home exhausted from a 15-hour day: “Mom, you have no idea how much I appreciate this. It just helps me out so much this week. Thanks.” You're welcome. To me, part of being a mom means serving.
Lastly, she said she'd never again bail her kids out of a jam, for example rushing to school with an assignment they forgot on the kitchen counter. Really? Because I kinda want my kids to know that being part of a family means we support each other, that we are all in this together. And I can point out a number of times when Gerald has rescued me by bringing me something I needed, even when doing so inconvenienced him. If he'll do this for me, why wouldn't I do it for my kids?
I'm all for teaching responsibility, but I honestly believe we can do that and still serve our kids, help them out when they need it, and yes, even cook them a special meal here and there.
No comments:
Post a Comment