Monday, August 29, 2016

Sayler's Old Country Kitchen and Mo's Chowder House

Not to imply that everything is about food.

Except it sort of is.

I spend about 80% of my time on a strict, low-fat eating plan, dreaming about all the wonderful food I wish I could eat. I spend the other 20% of my time "off plan," eating all that wonderful food. And so is my life.

My three days in Portland were clearly "off plan."

The second night I was there, I ate dinner with my mom, my brother, and his 18-year-old daughter at Sayler's Old Country Kitchen, home of the 72-ounce steak. I'm not sure if it's the nostalgia or the food that makes this place so special, probably both. You see, growing up, the Country Kitchen was our "place." I remember going there many, many times with my mom and dad, Tom (Tommy), and my grandparents. I'm pretty sure we went there at least monthly, sometimes more.

And other than the prices, little has changed. It's exactly the way I remember it from four decades ago. Every meal begins with an iced relish tray filled with celery, carrots, and olives. This is followed by thick-sliced french bread with melted garlic butter and a green salad with choice of dressing. Finally, the main course arrives, which for us, means a beautiful Fillet Mignon steak, cooked to order. They have a 4-oz one for kids, and I remember my mom ordering one of those for Tommy and me to share. I was so proud when I eventually graduated to my own kids' steak, and eventually, I had to order from the adult menu because I was eating my own steak plus a good portion of my dad's. The end of the meal is ice cream, peppermint or spumoni.

The menu is shaped like their famous 72-ounce steak and is even the exact size of it. That is one huge steak (!), and customers who eat the entire thing in a certain amount of time get it free of charge. Tommy and I always tried to get our dad or grandpa to attempt it, but they never did (for good reason, obviously). Sitting there last Sunday evening, those three were close to my heart: my dad and grandma and grandpa. I miss them, but I cherish the memories.

The following day, Tom, my mom, and I headed to the Oregon Coast, yet another place of nostalgia. We spent time in both Seaside and Cannon Beach. Tom and I reminisced about the days of childhood and that one time we were riding the "Octopus" in the amusement park, and the operator forgot about us and left us sitting high up on the ride.

We walked on the sand, watched the crashing waves, and breathed the calm ocean air. But the highlight was, of course, the food. We ate dinner at Mo's Restaurant, famous for its clam chowder. We ordered fried clam strip as an appetizer and then fresh shrimp salads, followed by a large family-style pot of clam chowder to share. Mmmm, can't even describe how good.

I came home wondering if I gained five pounds in just three days, but whatever. It was worth it. Another trip home to Oregon is now history.









No comments:

Post a Comment