Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Swen and the art of buying whatever he wants

Yesterday, I took Shulamith's 4-year-old son, Swen, to the store. Shulamith is recovering from surgery and was napping with her daughter, Kennedy. We went to my least favorite store in the world, Wal-Mart, because I needed several different things.

Swen needed only one thing: a car. He has millions of cars already (okay, that might be hyperbole, but maybe not?), but he always wants more. He reminds me of a younger Isaiah, who once upon a time looked up at me and said, "Mommy, I know I already have a lot of these cars, but I just love them."

I told Swen that as soon as I gathered all the stuff I needed, he could pick out one, $.97 Hot Wheels car. He agreed.

I found everything I needed, and we headed to the toys. I spotted the $.97 Hot Wheels cars. "You can pick out whichever one of those that you want, but only the ones that say $.97." He quickly selected a yellow Hot Wheels car, and we were off to check out. It seemed strange to me that this whole choosing process went so smoothly. Usually, it takes hours (hyperbole again) for him to decide, as he continues to ask for bigger, more expensive cars. Not this time.

I paid little attention when we were checking out. I usually watch every item ring up, but I was a bit distracted.

Later in the day, Shulamith asked me why I bought Swen a color-changing Hot Wheels car. "Those things cost over $4.00!" I told her I didn't, that I told him to choose a $.97 Hot Wheels.

"Well, he didn't," she replied. "He definitely bought a color-changing one. Didn't you notice when you paid?"

Nope. I sure didn't. But my subsequent conversation with Swen is the part that inspired this post. He is so matter-of-fact and so funny.

Me: Swen, did you buy a regular Hot Wheels car today, or did you buy an expensive color-changing car.

Swen: I bought a color-changing Hot Wheels.

Me: But Swen, I told you to choose a regular Hot Wheels.

Swen: Her, I don't really like the regular Hot Wheels cars. I really only love the color-changing Hot Wheels. So that's what I bought.


1 comment: